Twilight, True Blood and the Sookie Books

Go down

Twilight, True Blood and the Sookie Books

Post  Aslinn Dhan on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:41 pm

The Twilight Series, The Sookie Books, and True Blood

See, it had to happen sometime, I had to read the Twilight Books and of course the natural thing would happen next, the comparison. There are a lot of things I don’t care for in the Twi books, but they seem to be more matters of mythos than anything else, but even the little deviations are not that off the mark for the mythology and you will have to bear with me if I go back to reference entries from our Mythology thread.

It really is unfair to be too critical of the Twilight Books and compare them and say one is bad and one is better. Actually Stephanie Meyers is the superior writer with a far better story development and few loop holes and mess ups, none in fact that I can discern. The Twilight Books are written for young people and that I can appreciate, but the only things that really makes these books a little bland is the lack of sex. The carefully couched descriptions of Vampire and human sex and Vampire and Vampire sex are just enough to let you know they are “after it” but not terribly titillating and they are married after all. Married people are allowed to have sex.

But let’s get into the comparison, and again, be patient with me.

The Vampires

The biggest difference in the Twilight Books is the locale. Forks, Washington is a foreign world compared to the stuffy wet heat of Bon Temps. Oh, everything is still wet, in fact it is way wet, but there is a difference in culture there. Bella is teen age girl but in many ways, she is more mature and far better educated than Sookie for all of her six year age difference. In fact, she is a little…elderly in the way she takes responsibility for herself. She loves her parents, who are divorced, but she is not desperately linked to her family like Sookie. Bella calls her parents Charlie and Renee as opposed to mom and dad and she takes on a sort of caregiver role with her dad, just as she had with her mother, by cooking and caring for the house and shopping and the like.

She is somewhat like Sookie in that she has an on again off again sort of friendship with her school friends and as she goes deeper into the supernatural world, she really has little use for them.

Bella is 17 and she meets and falls in love with Edward Cullen. Edward was made Vampire by his “father” Carlisle around the time of the First World War when he was dying of the Spanish Flu. That is an interesting dynamic, the relationship between Vampires and maker. Where we know that Eric is Pam’s maker and she is his “child” I have never heard or read Pam calling Eric father, or he calling her daughter. Now, in the show, Jessica calls Bill, sarcastically, “daddy” and in the book Sookie calls Eric’s maker Ocella and Bill’s maker Lorena “dad’ and “mom” in fits of sarcasm and Eric calls Alexi Romanov his brother. In the Cullen house, or coven, they call each other brother and sister (though a couple of them are mated pairs) and Carlisle and Esme are father and mother. http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p40-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#232

Physically, the Vampires seem to be the same in the basic things, they are cold to the touch and they don’t really breathe except to smell. In the Twilight Books, the Vampires can day walk and during sunny days they “farkle” but honestly, this seems to be Stephanie Meyer’s interpretations of Sookie’s seeing their little Vampire glow as she calls it, and the gypsy belief that Vampire Babies can see a little glow around Vampires that they use to identify Vampires http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p20-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#211. http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p120-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#313 Another interesting thing about Twilight Vampires is they don’t have fangs. They simply use their teeth, which again, goes along with the earlier descriptions of Vampires, which just said they had ordinary teeth or teeth that were larger or appeared sharper. http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p20-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#216

Also, the method of making a Vampire seems to be about the use of venom, more like the lycanthropic germ that makes werewolves in legend and lore. The Twilight Vampires can drink animal blood, which is something Vampires can do in the mythology when they need emergency food. Even Anne Rice’s Vampires can drink animal blood and Louie tried desperately to drink an exclusive diet of animal blood with little success. Day walking is something Vampires can do in the mythology though they may not be as strong in the day as the night, and the Twilight Vampires never have to sleep, they just spend their hours reading and learning and broadening their imaginations and intellects which are considerable. http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p160-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#429

Just as the True Blood Vampires are under the control of the Authority, the Vampires in Twilight are under the authority of the Volturi, the Italian Vampire Coven. They are the law enforcement for the Vampire world. There are no other “rulers” and nor law enforcement.

Spirituality for the Vampires in the world of Twilight is more thought out. There are some Vampires who think of themselves without a soul. Edward’s resistance to Bella’s insistence she wants to be a Vampire is more about the state of her soul. Edward believes he has no soul because he lost his mortal life and is against nature and he has a violent unspoken past he only hints at. True Blood and the Sookie Books barely explore the spiritual end of the Vampire life. Bill in the show makes reference to “Magik” that keeps him alive that makes him animated and it just a little different from Sookie’s spark of life and in the books he says he doesn’t think he is without a soul as the Catholic Church is teaching about Vampires now they are out of the coffin because he tried to be civilized about who he killed. Bill in the books asks Sookie to pray for him in a “real church” if anything happened to him. Eric was never a Christian so he has very abstract notions of religion. He does say things like: “You must not be living right,” and “I can’t conceive of a religion that would want you to allow yourself to be killed.” That seems to be the long and short of spirituality in True Blood and the Sookie Books. http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p160-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#430 http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p160-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#432

What is an even stronger theme in both book series and True Blood is the notion of ethics. The Cullen Family have developed their own sense of morals and they train each new Vampire in their coven to go with this moral model. They abstain from drinking human blood and though they are successful at varying degrees, they do seem to mainstream fairly well. In the world of the Sookie Books and True Blood, there is a sort of moral and legal boundary for Vampires to follow, they can’t openly feed on humans and they can’t force a human to feed them and they are expected to subsist primarily on True Blood.

Vampires in both the book series and the show have different talents. Edward is a telepath, Alice sees the future, one brother, Jasper, can calm you down, and they can all more or less speak to one another telepathically. What made Edward notice Bella was that she was unreadable to Edward. As we meet other Vampires in the later books, we discover they have different powers. One has the power to create exact glamours and another to cause pain with their mind, and yet another has the power to control the elements. Like the Sookie Books and True Blood, they are all very strong and very fast.

The most dynamic and controversial elements of the Twilight Books is the fact Bella becomes pregnant with Edward’s baby. This is primarily against the Vampire mythos as we know the basic story because they are thought of as dead. The interesting thing Meyers does to explain how this happens is she pulls together the incubus/succubus story into the reasoning for how Bella becomes pregnant. In the myths, incubus ( a male sexual demon) can impregnate a woman and a succubus (a female sexual demon) can become pregnant by humans. http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p100-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#288 http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p140-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#319 This of course fulfills the desires of Edward to give Bella the full human experience. http://truebloodanonymous.forumotion.com/t9p60-mythology-of-true-blood-and-the-sookie-books#245

The other glaring difference between Sookie and Bella is that Bella wants to not only know everything there is to know about Edward’s world, she wants to be a Vampire so she can be with Edward forever. Sookie considers the possibility of her being Vampire repulsive. She even extracts a promise from Eric that he would never turn her, even if that meant saving her existence. Edward is the reticent one, arguing with Bella that besides losing her soul, she would be consumed with feeding for a long time before she would be able to settle down and live among people in a normal way. Bella shares more with Pam in this respect. Pam comes into her own as a Vampire and under Eric’s leadership, she becomes a very successful Vampire. Same with Bella. She is a very strong character for the most part, though she tends to whine from time to time in a way that grates on the nerves and her constant worshipfulness toward Edward is at times grating. There are times I would like to shank Edward.

Relationship wise, in both the book series and True Blood, Vampires can and do form love and nest/coven relationships, yet in the Sookie Books, these relationships, especially the love relations between Vampires last only a short amount of time because the power struggle of the blood sharing. Drinking the blood creates a link between the two and power struggles ensue. In the Twilight Series, there are no artificial restraints and they often stay together forever. Maker and child never have to go their separate ways, unlike maker and child in the Sookie Books.

Another thing about the Twilight Vampires is they are venomous, which is what causes the human to become a Vampire which is why Edward always worries about Bella and her hormone driven desires and him constantly fighting his desire for not only her but her elixir vitae.

And thankfully, there are no fairies in Forks, Washington…..that we know of.

The Werewolves/Shifters

The werewolves in the Twilight Books are actually shift shifters, we learn in the last book. They are a part of the Quileute tribe. They were legendary Protectors who only emerge at adolescence when there are “Cold Ones” in the area. They have a complex legend about how the first Protectors appeared and the legendary struggle they had with Vampires. They are wolves based on cultural and environmental situations and they become or “phase” into the animal most appropriate. When they phase, they grow in their human selves and they have a slower metabolism, which means they live for some time and eventual, they can decide to retire from being a wolf. True werewolves are actually very dangerous and very rare.

Jacob is Bella’s best friend though he would like to have more between her. There also seems to be a thing they call imprinting where they meet and become attached to their mate, even if the mate is a baby. They spend their mate’s babyhood and childhood being their mentor, guide and protector until they are of an age to be more than that. Even if you love someone else, if you imprint on another person, that is the person you will have as a mate.

Jacob does not want Bella to be with Edward, and he definitely does not want her to become a Vampire. He has a real dislike for Vampires, but goes against his pack when Bella and her baby are in danger. The interesting thing about Jacob and Bella’s dynamic is that he actually imprints on Bell’s baby, which I think is the real reason that Jacob was attracted to Bella in the first place, his instincts somehow sensed the child inside her, even before it was conceived and he was responding to is even then.

Like the weres in True Blood and in Twilight, one cannot become a were from a bite.

Human Vampires

Bella and Edward’s baby is a human Vampire. She was conceived when Bella was still human. She has a heartbeat and is warm to the touch and she grows very fast. Her gestation was only a few weeks and her baby hood and child hood is pretty much on its way to being gone by the time the last book ends, so Jacob will have to wait only a few years til he can be with her, and live happily ever after. Renessme drinks blood and hunts with her parents, but she also eats some things like regular humans. She can send her thoughts into the minds of others and speak telepathically. So she seems to have inherited the gifts of her father.

So that is it in a nut shell, the inevitable has happened and it really didn’t hurt all that much. If any of you have any other observations, please add them.....

Magister

Back to top Go down

Re: Twilight, True Blood and the Sookie Books

Post  Guest on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:27 pm

That was a wonderful comparison. Very fair and well thought out as you always are. I agreed with you completely.

I also thought that there were a couple of things in the twilight books that stood out to me. The baseball scene for one. The idea of the vampires doing something so entirely human and all American just before danger strikes. There was an innocence and joy to it that I don't think we have seen in the True Blood books or show.

I also was struck by Rosalie in the Twilight series. She stood up for Bella and was a staunch defender of Bella having a choice and insisting that it was well thought out before she was turned and then again a staunch defender of Bella when she was pregnant. Everyone wanted her to abort the baby and she was ready to fight to the death to defend Bella and her unborn child. They didn't start of as friends and of course there are all sorts of social implications to everything that transpired between them, but I often thought that Bella had alot more actual friends in the Cullen family than what Sookie ever does in the True Blood series. Sookie is never really what I would call close to anyone in the show. The books show a much better development of friendship with other people, including some that are non-sexual which doesnt really happen in the show, other than perhaps Sam (altho there was the hint of that in S1). Tara has never been the sort of friend to Sookie in the show that Alice or Rosalie are to Bella, not to mention Esme. When Bella joins Edward and they become a couple, Bella truly gains an entire family and not just her vampire. I thought that dynamic was fascinating in that it was a closeness and openess that she did not even have with her human family.

The last thing that truly struck me was her desire to protect her human family, especially her father from the knowledge of what she was involved in. I thought that it was really great that altho her relationship again changed with them, that she managed to keep a relationship at all. She had a choice to make and she chose a wonderful middle of the ground choice that did not include either full knowlegde on their part, or one of cutting them out of her life all together. In the beginning you get the sense that she will have to "give up" something by choosing to become vampire but in the end you see that Bella truly does make her own rules for the situation above and beyond anything that Sookie really ever does. Sookie seems to spend most of her time untrustful of her fairy family, lacking female friendship (in the show at least) and losing her gran and only having Jason for family. Jason is very much so the little brother to Sookie and not someone that she spends alot of true family time with. Its all about the mentoring or the danger aspects.

I really loved the mythology of the comparisons between the two and the similarities that one might easily have missed. I thought it was fascinating how SM stated she never researched vampires for her story but just wrote them the way she wanted to. Without even knowing, she kept closer to some basic truths than not.

I have to admit that it was a write up I saw on the news about Sookie being a more independant woman than Bella that truly drew me to watch the first episode of TB and then to read all of the books and what brought me here all that long ago. Bella was frankly driving me insane with her unhealthy desire to just let the world go by her like nothing existed beyond Edward. It is typical teenage angst, but it also set a really poor example I felt in that it encouraged young girls to be like Bella. Her sitting in the chair and watching the months go by after Edward left her , left me wanting to go smack the crap out of her and throw her out the window. The death wish stuff afterwards in order to see/hear Edwards voice was even worse. As we have gotten into the TB series more I'm beginning to feel that perhaps for all of Bella's faults, she is still a better heroine than Sookie will ever be. At least she knows what she wants and goes after it as opposed to Sookie who seems to have loyalty to no one other than whoever she is sleeping with at any particular moment. There is a reason we all call her Suckie.

In the Twilight books the vampires do tell Bella anything that is pertinent to the situations they are in, they dont withhold information to "protect" as the vampires do with Sookie. With Sookie you get the feeling that she is sort of out there all by herself in the world with and against the vampires. In the Twilight books it is more all about family. I think the idea of family is much more relatable than not and that in the end of the series one is left more with that impression than I was in the middle with the months flying by business. Sookie takes way too long to figure out what family means beyond Gran and Jason for my liking. That being said, the addition and realism of sex and swearing and violence in that world is much more enticing to an adult viewer and I am glad they left it in.

In the end, I think I'd still want to be turned given the choice. By Eric of course, LOL!!

eric eric eric

Back to top Go down

Post  Aslinn Dhan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 pm

*****I also thought that there were a couple of things in the twilight books that stood out to me. The baseball scene for one. The idea of the vampires doing something so entirely human and all American just before danger strikes. There was an innocence and joy to it that I don't think we have seen in the True Blood books or show.

The last thing that truly struck me was her desire to protect her human family, especially her father from the knowledge of what she was involved in. I thought that it was really great that altho her relationship again changed with them, that she managed to keep a relationship at all. She had a choice to make and she chose a wonderful middle of the ground choice that did not include either full knowlegde on their part, or one of cutting them out of her life all together. In the beginning you get the sense that she will have to "give up" something by choosing to become vampire but in the end you see that Bella truly does make her own rules for the situation above and beyond anything that Sookie really ever does. Sookie seems to spend most of her time untrustful of her fairy family, lacking female friendship (in the show at least) and losing her gran and only having Jason for family. Jason is very much so the little brother to Sookie and not someone that she spends alot of true family time with. Its all about the mentoring or the danger aspects.

I have to admit that it was a write up I saw on the news about Sookie being a more independant woman than Bella that truly drew me to watch the first episode of TB and then to read all of the books and what brought me here all that long ago. Bella was frankly driving me insane with her unhealthy desire to just let the world go by her like nothing existed beyond Edward. It is typical teenage angst, but it also set a really poor example I felt in that it encouraged young girls to be like Bella. Her sitting in the chair and watching the months go by after Edward left her , left me wanting to go smack the crap out of her and throw her out the window. The death wish stuff afterwards in order to see/hear Edwards voice was even worse. As we have gotten into the TB series more I'm beginning to feel that perhaps for all of Bella's faults, she is still a better heroine than Sookie will ever be. At least she knows what she wants and goes after it as opposed to Sookie who seems to have loyalty to no one other than whoever she is sleeping with at any particular moment. There is a reason we all call her Suckie.

In the Twilight books the vampires do tell Bella anything that is pertinent to the situations they are in, they dont withhold information to "protect" as the vampires do with Sookie. With Sookie you get the feeling that she is sort of out there all by herself in the world with and against the vampires. In the Twilight books it is more all about family. I think the idea of family is much more relatable than not and that in the end of the series one is left more with that impression than I was in the middle with the months flying by business. Sookie takes way too long to figure out what family means beyond Gran and Jason for my liking. That being said, the addition and realism of sex and swearing and violence in that world is much more enticing to an adult viewer and I am glad they left it in. *****

I think the thing that is interesting about Twilight as opposed to the Sookie Books and TB is that Vampires, even if they are not mainstreaming, are not above human enjoyments. The baseball game for example. In Dead Until Dark, when Malcolm and Diane come into Merlotte's to destroy the carefully built relationship Bill was cultivating in Bon Temps, Malcolm goes out of his way to point out they are Vampire and they don't go to barbeques and they don't go to baseball games and they are not humans, they are above them. Another thing I was thinking about was the fact Carlisle is a doctor who wants to help people. Carlisle practically made his family from dying people, so it was almost like turning them was the last resort to healing them. And Edward always has a dim view of Vampire. He really carries a cross for the mythology and reality of Vampire, that there are some evil Vampires out there.

I think the thing with Bella is that Stephenie Meyers doesn't write about sex. I think in a way, just as all writers do, she uses exaggeration in her characters and she probably models Bella partly on her self and partly on other girls she has met. Bella reminds me of the tough girl who plans to go to the dance and then spends the rest of the evening crying in the bathroom when she sees her beau dancing with someone else. So to convey her love and passion and desire, Stephenie redirects it and turns into this sickening worshipful attitude. Even today, with our version of elderly teenagers, we still have this. We also have to understand Bella is 17 and never had a real interest in boys until Edward. In many ways, though she is very responsible and grown up beyond her years, she is a very backward girl. You never know of her writing to friends back home in Phoenix, only her mother who is very irresponsible and immature. So falling in love with Edward is weird sort of thing for her. She doesn't know how to conduct an affair any better than Sookie. In some ways, Sookie and Bella are the same age mentally and emotionally. True, Sookie got a real education just listening to the brains of others, but she doesn't know how to go about having a love affair any more than Bella. At least Bella has an excuse, she is 17. Even Eric notes Sookie does not seem to have a policy about how to have a relationship. In Book Two he notes that Sookie runs when things get a little rocky.

And I agree with you, Aolani, I think Carlisle and Esme and Edward and the others really do clue Bella in to the workings of their world. And I think they are more fair with Bella than Bill and Eric and the rest are with Sookie. I always felt Bill and Eric taught her things after the fact, though when Eric tries to tell her things about the way things are in the Vampire world in the last book, Sookie is incredibly dense and uninterested. Maybe, unlike Carlisle and Edward, Bill and Eric thought Sookie would not get it.

Magister

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down