Dear Alan Ball

Go down

Dear Alan Ball

Post  Aslinn Dhan on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:48 pm

Well, it has taken me a while to think about how I feel about the series finale of True Blood. And this is what I have come to feel about the end of the story.

I had such high hopes for you and your brand of story telling. I knew you were one who had a strange sort of realism and surrealism and stories told in multiple contexts and subtle symbols for the foibles of all the characters. I loved the idea of popcorn for smart people, that we would get soap opera romance with intellectual sensitivity. And we did get that for a while, through season one, parts of season three, a couple of episodes of season four, a handful of moments of season five, a dreary attempt at it in season six and rush to get it over with in season seven. You didn't live up to your end of the bargain and you jumped ship before the end too.

Instead of all that popcorn for smart people, we got the charmed girls with nudity. Your writers have the intellectual scope of meal worms and they took what was a basic backbone for the stories and made them nearly unidentifiable. And the books were not that good anyway. How you made them worse, I have little or no idea but you managed beautifully.

It is almost like I watched through 7 years of show and all I have to show for it is a tee shirt that reads "I was a faithful fan of True Blood for Seven Years and all I got was this Tee Shirt."

The only redeeming thing you have done is you have introduced us to some really good actors who did a beautiful job despite the fact the scripts sucked. Stephen Moyer and Alexander Skarsgard and the rest of the gang did stellar jobs and I do miss them in my life each summer and eagerly anticipate seeing their other work. But unfortunately, that is all you did for us. The first season and random bits of the show does not a fandom make and between you and Charlaine Harris, I have to say, I hope no other book series get made into shows or movie series. Leave them on the page.

Yours Most sincerely....

Aslinn

Magister

Back to top Go down