True Blood Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Male and Female writers of Vampire Lit

Go down

Male and Female writers of Vampire Lit Empty Male and Female writers of Vampire Lit

Post  Aslinn Dhan Thu May 03, 2012 3:30 pm

So I have been catching up on my Vampire lit. I am currently perusing George RR Martin's Fevre Dream and it made me think about the differences between female written Vampire Lit and male written and I have to say there is a real inequality in male visions of Vampire and female visions.

The most glaring is the sexual factor. Again, I think it is the male jealousy thing of the sexual prowess of the male Vampire. Martin, like other men who write of Vampires, have made his male Vampires in some way impotent or limited. The only female exception to this rule is Anne Rice whose Vampires did not have actual sex with anyone but developed these intense emotional attachments and desires for others.

Bram Stoker, Guilermo Del Toro, Stephen King, and a multitude of male writers have castrated the Vampire. And they do not have female Vampires men desire either. This may be an extension of the fear of the vagina dente, the vagina with teeth. Or it may be they are afraid the human lover of a Vampire woman will be lacking and the Vampiress will laugh at them and then eat them.

Female writers of the genre are the opposite. They create Vampires you could actually love, or at the very least, want intensely. They are hyper sexed and very good at what they do. What message are the female writers sending? Is it that men can't satisfy women and they have to turn to Vampires for physical pleasure? I am sure there are some men out there who feel that way when their wives watch True Blood and or curl up with the latest Vampire novel.

What do you think?
Aslinn Dhan
Aslinn Dhan
Magister
Magister

Back to top Go down