True Blood Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lafayette's Kitchen

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lafayette's Kitchen - Page 2 Empty Re: Lafayette's Kitchen

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:47 pm

From Renee.............

Renee’s Get Out of Jail Free Pie

I make this pie with bakeapples/cloudberries, I call it my Get Out of Jail Free Pie because I’ve gotten away with multiple sins by making and serving it.

Pastry

½ cup of butter
½ cup of brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar, add the egg and continue beating, add the flour and baking powder and beat until well blended.

Line a deep dish pie pan with the dough.*

Fruit

Line the pastry with 3 cups of bakeapples**

Cream

1 ¼ cups of sour cream
½ cup of sugar
3 Tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla
2 eggs

Cream all the above ingredients and pour slowly over the fruit and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes

Topping

¼ cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of flour
¼ cup of butter

Mix until crumbly.

Remove pie from oven and sprinkle with the topping mixture return to the oven and continue baking for 20 more minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool, the custard will set completely upon cooling.

* This pastry does not roll well so I press it into the pan with my fingers. You may wish to cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent burning.

** I use bakeapples and have used lingonberries in this recipe however, any fruit may be used. Strawberries and blueberries are particularly delicious.

Renee
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:48 pm

From Butter............

Jason Stackhouse's Drunken Snack

Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwhich

2-3 Ripe bananas
8 Slices white bread
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

Topping:
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Directions
In frying pan melt 3 tablespoons of butter - make sure butter does not burn. In a small bowl mix together peanut butter, honey and cinnamon. Slice bananas into 1/4 thick slices. Spread the peanut butter mixture on four slices of bread and cover with banana slices. Top with remaining 4 slices of bread. Spread butter on both sides of sandwiches. Grill sandwiches in frying pan until each side is golden brown.

For topping, combine sugar cinnamon in shallow plate. Coat grilled sandwiches with mixture. Cut diagonally and serve hot.

Recipe Courtesy Paula Deen

Servings: 4 sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Difficulty: Easy

Got this recipe from http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view2/paulas_fried_peanut_butter_and_banana_sandwich/
It's what i've been craving since i found the recipe i eat at least once a day
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 pm

From Minnie...............

Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake

2 cups chocolate chips
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large bananas
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup butter,softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 10 inch bundt cake pan and dust with flour. Toss the chocolate chips with 2 tbsp. of the flour and set aside.

2. Mix the remaining flour,baking powder, and salt. Mash the bananas. In a small bowl, stir together the bananas, milk, and vanilla. In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar. One at a time, beat in the eggs into the butter-sugar mixture. In three additions each, mix in the flour and banana mixtures until just combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips.

3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and cool ten minutes. Carefully invert the cake onto the rack to remove it from the pan and cool completely. For garnish, sift confectioners' sugar over the top of the cake or drizzle with melted chocolate chips. Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature. Makes 16 to 20 servings.

Recipe source: http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/chocolate-banana-bundt-cake-676634/
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 pm

From Minnie...................

Mandarin Orange Cake

1 package white cake mix (18-1/4 oz.)
2 eggs
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 can mandarin oranges (11 oz.), undrained
1 carton frozen whipped topping (8 oz.), thawed
1 can crushed pineapple (8 oz.), undrained
1 package instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz.)

In a mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, applesauce and oranges. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack to cool completely. In another bowl, beat whipped topping, pineapple, and pudding mix. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Chill. Makes 12 servings.

Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:50 pm

From Butter.................

Dawns "make you wanna slap it" Stuffed Burgers

Ingredients
1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack
4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
1 pound ground chuck
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large hamburger buns, split
Ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard, for serving
Lettuce, sliced tomato, onion, and avocado, for serving
Directions
Combine the jack cheese and chopped bacon in a bowl. Put the beef in another bowl and season with salt and pepper; use a rubber spatula to mix it in. Flatten 1/4 of the meat mixture in the palm of your hand. Squeeze together about a tablespoon of the cheese and bacon mixture to make a little nugget; put it in the center of the ground beef. Bring up the sides of the patty over the filling, making sure the cheese is completely covered by the meat. Flatten slightly for a nice patty shape. Set them side by side on a platter in the refrigerator while preparing the grill.

Place a large grill pan on 2 burners over medium-high heat or preheat an outdoor gas or charcoal barbecue and get it very hot. Brush the grates with oil to keep the burgers from sticking. Grill the burgers for 8 minutes per side for medium. (The USDA recommends cooking ground beef until it is no longer pink and the internal temperature is 160 degrees F.) Remove the burgers to a clean side plate while you toast the buns.

Rub the grill rack with more oil and place the buns cut-side down, toast for 1 minute. Serve the burgers with your favorite condiment and any garnish you like, such as lettuce, sliced tomato, onion, and/or avocado.

I dont have a grill so i just fried mine in a frying pan on the stove on medium heat in the grease left over from the bacon. You can put anything you want in the middle i just chose bacon and shredded cheese. I hope yall like it as much as i did! I got the idea from a show on Food network but the recipie from this website.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/stuffed-bacon-cheeseburgers-recipe/index.html

Thanks Aslinn for the recipe name..she's so talented
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 pm

From Aolani..............

Just a lil something warm and yummy while sitting around the campfire at Beltane or any other time.

Chai Tea Mix

Ingredients
1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer
1 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer
2 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cardamom

Directions
In a large bowl, combine milk powder, non-dairy creamer, vanilla flavored creamer, sugar and instant tea. Stir in ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. In a blender or food processor, blend 1 cup at a time, until mixture is the consistency of fine powder.
To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons Chai tea mixture into a mug of hot water.
Footnotes
FOOTNOTE
You may choose to omit the French vanilla creamer, and use 2 teaspoons vanilla extract instead. To do so, mix the vanilla into the sugar, let it dry, then break the sugar into small lumps. Follow the same procedure as above.

You can spice it up even further by adding 1 teaspoon nutmeg and allspice, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper.

Or you can go the more traditional method:

Hot Spiced Chai Tea

It may seem like a lot of spices added to this tea, but the outcome is worth it.

Servings: 6

Ingredients:
1 (2-inch) piece of fresh ginger
2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
10 whole cloves
10 cardamom pods
3/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
7 cups water
6 bags black tea
1 1/2 cups NESTLÉ COFFEE-MATE Original Low Fat Liquid Coffee Creamer
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar

Instructions:
COMBINE ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns and water in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; partially cover pan. Heat for 10 minutes.

ADD tea bags; steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags. Stir in Coffee-mate and sugar. Heat through. Strain tea into teapot and pour into cups for serving.
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:53 pm

From Raki................

Maryanne's Mock Hunter's souffle'
Layer ingredients in a souffle pan, (do not mix), in this order: 2 cans cherry pie filling 1 can crushed pineapple 1 box yellow cake mix, dry 2 sticks melted butter Bake at 350 degrees unitl hot, bubbly and golden brown. Serve in pan. Garnish with a heart!

It really is pretty good, a friend made this once. However I found this posted on True Bloods facebook page
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:54 pm

From Aslinn................

Hoyt's Baby Chicken Fried Steak

1 large package of cube steak.

(This is not the world's best cut of meat, and quite tough, so you will want to take each steak and pound it and cut into quarters. Once it is cooked, it is some of the richest meat you will eat)

A cup and half of flour
Eggs or Milk
(If lactose is a problem in your family, you can skip the eggs or milk. I find that it may make your steak dry to have a heavy batter, but never fear, if you skip the eggs and milk your steak will be crisp and yummy.)

A tea spoon of garlic or onion powder.

Mix your dry ingredients together in a large bowl or a paper bag, some people like to shake their meat in the flour. Give it a good stir to mix the dry ingredients. In another bowl, break three eggs and whisk them to break the yolks but not make them battery for an omelet. If you prefer milk, use two cups, that should give you enough milk to dredge your meat.

Dredge your meat in the milk or eggs and make sure the meat is well drenched in the liquid and then lay the meat in the flour. Cover the meat thoroughly in the flour and lay it in a plate.

Heat your skillet to medium high and let the oil, about a quarter cup to a half cup, heat. You will want to use more oil if you are battering the meat rather than just dusting.

Lay the meat in the skillet. Don't cover your skillet or the meat won't crisp. Turn the meat intermittently to cook it evenly. Make sure you cook it thoroughly and the outside is crispy.

To make it even crispier, set your meat in a cake pan and set it in the oven around 350 for about ten minutes. This will finish the cooking and make it even crisper.

Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and green beans and cornbread or biscuits and your family will develop an instant southern accent and will praise your name to the angels.
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:55 pm

From Raki...................

Talbot's Sorbet

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
4 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced (or try raspberries!)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup light corn syrup
Directions
Bring the sugar and 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer, without stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.

Put the strawberries and lime juice into a food processor and puree. Press the strawberry puree through a strainer to remove the seeds.

When the sugar syrup has cooled completely add it to the strawberry puree. Add the corn syrup and stir well. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Sorbet is particularly soft after churning but firms up after freezing.
(snagged this from Paula Deen lol)

or you could be lazy like me and just buy a pint of Häagen-Dazs, yummy!
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:56 pm

From Aslinn................

Lettie Mae's Hoe Cakes

Ingredients

* 1 cup self-rising flour
* 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
* 2 eggs
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 3/4 cup buttermilk
* 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease
* Oil, butter, or clarified margarine, for frying

Directions

Mix well all ingredients, except for the frying oil. Heat the frying oil or butter in a medium or large skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter, by full tablespoons, into the hot skillet. Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake. Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side. With a slotted spoon, remove each hoecake to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 pm

From Aslinn..............

Jesus' Hypocrite Burger

Two Packages of Boca Veggie Burger Patties
American cheese
Sharp cheddar
Your fave Bacon, thick sliced
Twelve Hamburger Buns
Various Veggies and condiments

Fry or broil your Boca Burgers til they are nearly done. Fry up your bacon (to be a really big hypocite, fry the bacon first and then fry your veggie patties) and add a slice of American Cheese and cheddar cheese and when they are melted, take the patties out and put them on you fave bun and load it down with three or four strips of bacon...the more you add, the more hypocritical...and add your fave condiments and vegetables and chow down....
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:58 pm

From Aslinn..............

Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients

2 lbs of Hamburger
1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 large Onion
1 Tsp of garlic
I package of McCormick's Meatloaf mix or Beef Stew Mix
2 large heads of cabbage.

Meat Filling

Enough hamburger for 12 rolls (about two pounds)

Basically, it is a recipe for meat loaf. Here is how I do it, any variation is fine.

1 lg onion finely chopped
I small can of tomato paste (paste, not sauce)
I tsp of garlic powder
I package of McCormick's meatloaf mix (or beef stew if you can't find meatloaf)
3 eggs

Mix all the ingredients together thoroughly, mushing everything up with your hands. Put it in the firdge til your cabbage is ready.

Cabbage prep

Place 2 large cabbage heads stalk down in a pot and pour water in the pot until you have the water covering at least 2/3 of your top cabbage head. If you have to, cook them in separate pots. Bring your pot to a boil and cook for 45 minutes. This will soften up your cabbage so it will be pliable.

When they are done, put the heads in a large pan and with a knife, cut carefully around the stalk to peel off the cabbage leaves. Do this until you have cut away all the leaves. It may take one or two leaves to wrap a meat ball . Each ball of meat should be about the size of a small orange.

Place a few left over leaves in the bottom of the pot you intend to cook your rolls in. This protects your cabbage rolls from scorching. Lay all of your cabbage rolls in the pot and pour one large can of crushed tomatoes over the rolls and add water. Water should be just at the bottom of your last row of cabbage rolls. Put any left over cabbage in the pot on top.

Bring the water to a boil and then leave to simmer til your meat is cooked. This is about 45 minutes.

Serve with your fave sides.

Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:59 pm

From Aolani..........

Baked Potato Soup

Prep: 15 mins Cooking: 10 mins Cooling: 0 min Yields: 4

This soup is sure to warm you up on a cold day.

Ingredients

2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes, baked or microwaved1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine1/4 cup chopped onion1/4 cup all-purpose flour1 can (14.5 fl. oz.) chicken broth1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated MilkCooked and crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions (optional)

Directions

MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve potato skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes just to a boil. Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions, if desired.

VARIATION: For a different twist to this recipe, omit the bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions. Cook 2 tablespoons shredded carrot with the onion and add 1/4 teaspoon dried dill to the soup when adding the broth. Proceed as above.
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 pm

From Aolani.............

13 Bean Soup Recipe

2 cups 13 beans, uncooked
6 cups water
1 meaty ham bone or ham hock
1 large onion chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
6 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Stove Temp: medium low
Recipe Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Pan Type: dutch oven or stock pot

13 Bean Soup Directions

Place beans in a colander, look through the dry 13 beans to see if there are any rocks and remove them if you find any.
Wash and drain the 13 beans.

Place beans into the soup pot.
Cover 13 beans with the first amount of water.
Cover beans and let set 8 hours or overnight.
Drain and rinse the 13 beans and return to pan.

Add the diced ham or ham hock, chopped vegetables, basil, thyme, Worcestershire and second amount of water.
Stir to blend.
Bring 13 bean soup mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the meat is tender enough to easily remove from bone.
Cut meat off bone and put the ham back into the soup.
Continue to cook for allotted time or until 13 soup beans are tender and the flavors blend. Add the salt and pepper just before serving.

Recipe Note: 13 Bean soup mix contains navy, black, red, pinto, baby limas, large limas, garbanzo, red lentils, great northern, kidney beans, black-eyed peas, yellow splits, green splits and lentils. This is a good hearty and colorful bean soup mix.

Soup Recipe Serves: 6 – 8
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:03 pm

From Aslinn.............

Killed Greens

This is a perfect compliment to any down home supper. Some people use spinach or collard greens, some use dandilion greens, some use various lettuces. I use Iceberg lettuce, but feel free to experiment.

What you do is fry up some bacon or other pork meat like chops. Don't use sausage grease though because it may be too spicy...again, experiment.

Fry up your pork. If you use bacon set it aside and while the grease is hot, take your chopped lettuce and onion and put it in the hot skillet and sort of mix it around in the hot grease. Let the lettuce wilt a little but not grow too mushy, a few turns will do it. Then take your lettuce out of the skillet, crumble up your bacon (if you used bacon) on top and sprinkle it with vinegar. just a little.

A wonderful side dish for soup beans and fried potatoes....

Hope you enjoy....and no, this is not a health food....
May want to experiment with sliced fresh peppers (not the pickled kind) and heat it a little with your fave hot sauce for that Louisiana low country vibe. You can use this as a side dish to barbecue as well...
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Lafayette's Kitchen - Page 2 Empty Rhev's Roast Beast

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:05 pm

From SugarMags.......

OK. This isn't a True Blood inspired recipie. It comes straight out of J.R. Ward's "Lover Avenged" (Black Dagger Brotherhood). It sounds weird, but it works!! I've been dying to try it for 2 years, since the book came out, and finally worked up the nerve.

From Lover Avenged, by J.R. Ward, page 203....

Determined to keep it together, Ehlena put the napkin in her lap and tried the roast beef.
"My God, this is fabulous."
"Thanks," Rehv said as he sat down. "It's the way the doggen in our household have always done it. You get the oven up to four seventy-five and you put the roast in, blast it for a half hour, then turn everything off and let it sit in there. You're not allowed to open the door to check it. That's the rule, and you have to trust the process. Two hours later?"
"Heaven."
"Heaven."

We used a 3 lb or so sirloin tip roast, and it actually worked!!! Medium rare all the way through. Abso-effin-lutely perfect.

RULE #1 - DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR
RULE #2 - SEE RULE #1
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:06 pm

From Aolani............

I found a recipe for Alex's favorite meal. Here goes!

Moose Stew

Moose meat has a lean texture and rich flavor. It is difficult to acquire commercially, so you can substitute beef. Serve this stew with white rice and corn bread.

INGREDIENTS

6 strips bacon, cut into pieces
2-1/2 to 3 pounds moose meat, or beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 cups dry red wine
1 cup homemade or canned beef stock
3 tablespoons brandy
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 an orange, washed
6 whole cloves
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large carrotss, peeled and coarsely chopped
1/2 pound mushrooms, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In an oven-proof 3-quart casserole, cook the baon over medium heat until brown. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, drain, and set aside.

Sprinkle the moose meat with salt and pepper. Dredge it in the flour. Add the meat to the pan drippings. Brown on all sides over medium heat.

Add the reserved bacon, onion, wine, stock, brandy, garlic, marjoram, and thyme. Stir until the sauce thickens and is bubbly. Stud the orange with the cloves and tuck it into the liquid. Cover the casserole and place it in the center rack of the oven. Bake for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook until tender. Set aside.

When the stew is done, add the carrots and mushrooms, cover, and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Remove the orange and discard. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 to 6 servings
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Lafayette's Kitchen - Page 2 Empty Sookie's Cheese Straws (By Way of Paula Deen)

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:08 pm

From Aslinn..................

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

In a food processor, add the butter, cheese, flour, salt and cayenne and process until a smooth dough is formed. Scoop it into a cookie press, fitted with a flat ridged tip. Pipe the dough in 2-inch strips onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. (Alternatively, refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes and roll on a lightly floured surface into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut into smaller rectangles, about 2 by 3-inches, with a pizza wheel or sharp knife.) Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool.
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Lafayette's Kitchen - Page 2 Empty British Curry (Stephen's Favorite)

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:10 pm

From Aolani.....................

The Secrets of British Indian Restaurant Curry Recipes Ref: Rec15

The restaurant food enjoyed in British Indian restaurants for generations is very different to traditional Indian food, largely because the majority of "Indian" restaurants are owned and run by Bengalis, Bangladeshis and Pakistanis. In addition, the original recipes have changed to reflect local tastes and available ingredients. This has resulted in what is today identified as the "BIR" or British Restaurant Curry.

There are several web sites devoted to recreating the BIR taste at home and thanks to an anonymous contributor - we have pleasure in presenting what in our opinion is the closest recipe to recreating your favourite restaurant curry.

This recipe has been contributed by a customer who asked to remain anonymous (Thanks again "M"!) who has spent 20 years trying various combinations and recipes - his own personal "Holy Grail" and we reproduce it here exactly as he wishes.

The Basic Curry Sauce

(Tip: have a read of ALL of these pages first - pick a curry and ensure you've got all the things you need before starting).

4 large RED onions, coarsely chopped - yes red onions!
2oz unpeeled fresh ginger, chopped
3oz peeled fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
6tbs vegetable oil
1tsp heaped salt
½ tsp sugar
240g tin of chopped tomatoes
1tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (important!!!!)
1tsp Paprika
1tbs tomato puree
1tsp tomato ketchup

1. Fry onion in 1tbs of oil for 10 mins on a low heat until soft (not browned)
2. Put in the garlic, ginger and salt then add enough water to just cover the top of all ingredients.
3. Bring everything to boil then turn down to a simmer for 30 mins (no lid)
4. While this is simmering, place remaining 5tbs of oil, tomatoes, puree, ketchup and spices into another saucepan - boil then simmer for 10 mins on low heat.

Separately blend both of the above VERY FINELY and combine, then simmer for another 15 minutes to ensure cooked and well mixed. The blending is vital to the flavour/correct texture. Add water if it ever gets too dry during this phase. The end result should should be about 1600ml of gravy - if it's not, add water to this volume now.

The Secret Onion Paste (biggest secret!)
2 lge white onions, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic
3tbs vegetable oil
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of cinnamon

Place raw onion and garlic into blender. Add enough water to come about halfway up the side of the blender and blend until WELL smoothed.

Heat the oil in a pan on a high heat, adding the mixture (it will spit!!!)

Reduce this down until it gets dryer then add the spices and continue frying until it turns into what looks a bit like bread dough. This may take some time but is worth it for the final taste! Be careful not to burn this as it will be ruined. Taste the finished product - tastes almost "soapy" - remind you of anything familiar?

Special Spice Mix (not that special)
Equal amounts of cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and dried fenugreek. If unsure which brand to buy, try NATCO - especially their garam masala which is superb. I mix up a few tablespoons of each at a time and keep in a Tupperware tub, etc!

The above are a MUST for all recipes and corners cannot be cut in any way.

The above recipes could be doubled up for ease and stored in the freezer in pre-measured amounts.

How to make a basic 'Medium Curry'
800ml of basic curry sauce (should be around half the basic sauce recipe!? - this is enough for 4 people's main meal)

5tbs Vegetable Oil
1 level tsp of salt
1tsp of ground coriander )
1tsp of ground cumin ) (This is the special spice mix but listed individually!!!)
1tsp of garam masala )
1tsp dried fenugreek leaves )
¼ tsp of chilli powder
fresh coriander leaves

Add oil and heat. Add basic sauce (along with fresh chicken/other meats if using them) and simmer on high heat for 2-3 mins.

Add all of the spices and salt and continue for 5 mins or sauce separates from the oil. Add the prawns (if your cooking a prawn curry!) and simmer for a further 7 minutes - add any water if you feel it's getting too dry.

Although the curry is now cooked, further frying is now required and this must be done in individual portions.

At this stage (if you've doubled up the quantities) you can measure out lots of bags of 200ml/400ml at a time and freeze them for a quick curry whenever you need.

You can now take out a bag from your freezer along with a couple of frozen chicken breasts in the morning and be eating within 20 mins when you get home.

400ml of this basic curry sauce will be enough for 2 main dishes, therefore one entire recipe should be enough for 8 main dishes and so on.

1. Add some oil to your 'individual curry' pan.
2. ***NOW REFER TO THE STYLE REQUIRED AND OBEY INSTRUCTIONS***
3. Then add the required amount of sauce and meat/cooked vegetables for one portion (only 200ml of sauce as it's got to be an individual portion for authenticity)
4. Heat everything up and then add 1 tbs of the onion paste in the final minute
5. Taste, if necessary add more of the 'special spice mix' - more fresh coriander for garnish

Voila ! your individual curry!!!

From this method, you can have people round for a curry and given them all differing ones according to their personal tastes.

THE CURRY STYLES
For all of the types below, I recommend having the ingredients to hand as you'll have to work quickly - no time to start raking around your cupboards for stuff once you've started!!!!

Dupiaza
Whilst you are preparing the basic curry recipe, prepare the following

1tbs of vegetable oil
1tsp of Cumin seeds
2 large onions, sliced into rings
4 green or red chillies, halved lengthways

Heat the oil and add cumin seeds. 5 seconds later add onions and chillies and reduce heat. Fry until onions are soft and slightly charred.

Add to basic sauce, check seasoning, serve

Bhuna
Same as dupiaza but replace 1 of the onions with a chopped green pepper! (easy innit?)

Jalfrezi
1 tbs of vegetable oil
1 tsp of cumin seeds
1 large green pepper, chopped into chunks
4 green or red chillies

Korma
5 mins from end, add 1 tbs of ground almonds and 3 tbs of single cream. (It's that easy!)

Pasanda
Cook the basic korma and add 1" of a standard coconut block, ½ tsp sugar and ½ tsp turmeric 5 minutes before the end.

Madras
Replace ¼ tsp chilli with 1 tsp of chilli. Add some lemon juice if you want. (how easy was that!?)

Masala
Add 4 tbs of Heinz tomato soup (& red food colouring) 5 minutes before end. Serve with single cream on top. (I guess the tomato soup fully justifies the £7.50 price in a restaurant!)

Vindaloo
Replace ¼ tsp chilli with 2 tsp chilli and add 1 tsp of malt vinegar 5 minutes before end.

Pilau Rice
Fill and switch on your kettle
Whilst this is happening heat up a little oil in a pan that comes with a tight fitting lid
Allow 3oz of BASMATI rice per person (weigh it!!! And it must be basmati - nothing else works! You can also be boring and soak the rice in water first but I never bother)
Salt to taste
2 green cardamom pods (split open slightly) per rice serving
1 whole clove per serving

When the oil is warm, add the raw rice and spices together
Mix well, ensuring the rice gets coated in the oil - don't worry if it starts to turn white
Turn down the heat to minimum

Quickly pour the boiled water into a measuring jug
(allow double the fl oz of water to the rice weight) ie for 4 portions: 12 oz of rice and 24 fl oz of boiled water.
Stir everything around to stop any sticking and place the lid on securely
Cook for 12 minutes on the lowest heat setting
After 12 minutes take from heat and leave for another 12 minutes (do not remove the lid - the steam will continue to cook the rice!!!)

Later take the lid off and you can add a drop or two of food colouring for that restaurant effect ( I use a drop of red at one end of the pot and a drop of green at the other - leave for a while and then mix through the white rice for a realistic effect)

I would normally make the rice first and, while it is resting, knock up the curry sauce. The rice stays hot like this for a couple of hours if you don't keep removing the lid and let the steam escape!)

This recipe will give impressive results if you measure/time things accurately.
A piece of cake….

(For plain boiled rice, omit the spices and food colouring).

http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/Holy_Grail.html
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:13 pm

From Aslinn.............

WHAT’S COOKIN’ IN BON TEMPS
— A Selection of Down-Home Southern Recipes — From the Sookie Companion

Southern cooking has a style—and a flavor—all its own. When I decided to
include recipes that would celebrate the tastes of Louisiana, not to mention the
entire South, I decided to throw the doors open to my fans, who had already
created a cookbook under the auspices of Charlaine’s Charlatans.

I was wonderfully surprised by the response—the recipes came pouring in!
After taste-testing all of them, we selected a range that showcased Southern
cooking, from breakfast to dessert, including drinks. I hope you have the chance to
try and enjoy some of these true down-home Southern recipes—I know I sure did!

BREAKFAST:
Belle Rive Brunch Eggs
Eggs Benedict
French Market Beignets
LUNCH:
Burgers Lafayette Sauce
Cold-Weather Chili
Merlotte’s Chicken Strips
Mitchell’s Favorite Meatloaf
SUPPER:
Calvin’s Catfish
Crawdad’s Country-Fried Steak
Crossroads Jambalaya
Sookie’s Chicken Casserole
Stackhouse Smothered Pork Chops
SIDES:
Antoine’s Fried Pickles
Bon Temps Sweet Potato Harvest
Gran’s Easy Baked Apples
Hotshot Hush Puppies
Jannalynn’s Golden Biscuits
Mardi Gras Corn Salad
Michele’s Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Michele’s Parmesan Garlic Croutons
Pinkie’s Fried Green Tomatoes
Sister’s Mashed Potato Casserole
DESSERTS:
Adele Hale Stackhouse’s Blue-Ribbon Chocolate Cake
Aunt Patty’s Sour Cream Cake with Praline Frosting
Caroline Holliday Bellefleur’s Chocolate Cake
Diner Key Lime Pie
Louisiana Pralines
Perdita’s Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce
Portia’s Sweet Potato Pie
Wicked Peach Cake
DRINKS:
Classic Southern Sweet Tea
Country Porch Lemonade

Breakfast

BELLE RIVE BRUNCH EGGS
TIME: PREP TIME 30 MINUTES, MARINATING TIME 8–12 HOURS, BAKING
TIME 90 MINUTES • SERVES 8–10

INGREDIENTS: 8 slices bread, torn into cubes
1 dozen eggs
2¼ cups plus ½ cup milk
¾ tsp. dry mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 lb. ham, cubed, or 2 lb. cooked bacon, crumbled
½ cup green onions, finely chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1½ cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, or a blend, your choice)
1 can (10¾ oz.) cream of mushroom soup
Place the bread cubes into a greased 9 × 13” pan. Beat the eggs, 2¼ cups milk,
mustard, salt, and pepper. Pour over the bread cubes in the pan. Evenly sprinkle
the ham or bacon, onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms over the top of the egg
mixture. Top with the cheese. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Mix the can of soup with ½
cup milk and pour over the refrigerated egg mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 90
minutes. The dish will puff when baking but will deflate after it is removed from
the oven. Cut into squares and serve hot.

Submitted by Debi Murray

EGGS BENEDICT
TIME: 15 MINUTES • SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS: ¼ cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
1 rounded tsp. brown mustard (not honey mustard, but horseradish mustard
or champagne mustard works very well)
¼ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
2 English muffins or 4 leftover biscuits
4 slices sandwich ham or Canadian bacon
⅔ cup water
Pinch of salt
A few shakes of Tabasco sauce (or your preferred pepper-vinegar sauce)
4 eggs, room temperature, as fresh as possible

This takes a little practice in terms of timing because the heat goes on the sauce, the
eggs, and the meat from different directions at the same time. Once you get the timing
down, however, it’s the easiest Eggs Benedict you’ll ever cook.

Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and yogurt or sour cream in a small, cold
saucepan. Set aside. Split your muffins or biscuits and lay them, torn side up, on a
cookie sheet. Preheat the broiler but don’t put the bread in yet.

Lay the meat in a cold skillet, preferably with a touch of bacon grease, and
place the skillet over low heat to brown the meat. If not using a castiron skillet, start
with a very low heat. Allow meat to cook, making certain it does not burn. Note:
The meat cooks better if it is cut into strips before being laid in the pan, but then it
looks less like Eggs Benedict.

As soon as you have the meat pan on the heat, turn to the eggs. Pour ⅔ cup
water into a 1-quart bowl. Salt it. Shake in a few good jolts of Tabasco or your
favorite vinegar-based pepper sauce. Stir. Crack the eggs and gently slip them
(minus the shell) into the water, pricking each yolk once with a toothpick.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave on full power for 2–3 minutes.
Let the eggs stand, covered, to give the whites time to completely set and the yolks
time to thicken, about 2 minutes.

As soon as you turn on the microwave, put the saucepan with the mayonnaise
mixture over low heat and stir pretty constantly for about 5 minutes, until heated
through.

When the microwave dings, pull the sauce off the heat long enough to put the
bread under the broiler to toast the torn side lightly. While the bread toasts, put the
sauce back over low heat and stir. Allow the bread to lightly toast, and then remove
it from the oven. The sauce is done when the bread is.

Once the bread is out, quickly drain your eggs and roughly divide them.
Shuffle your hot bread onto plates. Top with the meat, then the eggs, and then the
sauce. Don’t agonize over the nonround eggs or piles that slip over sideways.
Submitted by Amber Green

FRENCH MARKET BEIGNETS
TIME: PREP TIME 15 MINUTES,
REFRIGERATION TIME 8 HOURS, COOKING TIME 15 MINUTES • SERVES 8

INGREDIENTS: 1 package dry yeast
½ tsp. plus ½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup water, warm to the touch
1 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Oil for frying (preferably canola, but whatever oil you’ve got in the
Fry Daddy will do)
1 cup powdered sugar in a brown paper lunch bag

The night before you plan to eat these, dissolve your yeast and ½ tsp.
granulated sugar in the warm water in a big mixing bowl. Stir gently until the yeast
dissolves; let rest for 5 minutes until the yeast is nice and bubbly.

Add the evaporated milk, ½ cup sugar, and the salt to the bubbly yeast. Crack
the egg into a small bowl, beat it well, and add the beaten egg to the big bowl. Stir
until well blended. Add the flour, ½ cup at a time, blending well. Cover the bowl
with a wet towel and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, fill your Fry Daddy, your electric wok, or a deep and sturdy
saucepan or skillet at least 3” deep with oil. Heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
While the oil is warming, roll out the dough on a well-floured surface. The
thickness is a personal preference, but anywhere from ¼” to ½” is traditional. Cut
the dough into 2” to 3” squares, also a matter of personal preference. Let the dough
rest while the oil heats up.

Drop the beignets, three at a time, into the hot oil. Cook until they are nicely
brown, and then turn them over to brown the other side, approximately 1 minute
per side. Pull the hot beignets out of the oil with a slotted spoon. Let any excess oil
drip off. Drop them into the bag of powdered sugar. Close the bag and shake it.
Take the sugar-coated beignets out of the bag and serve immediately. Continue
with the rest of the beignets.
Tip: Beignets are best served hot.

Submitted by Denise Little

Lunch

BURGERS LAFAYETTE SAUCE
TIME: 30 MINUTES • SERVES 4

INGREDIENTS: 1 medium onion, chopped
¼ stick margarine
¼ cup vinegar
½ cup water
½ tsp. salt
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
½ tsp. pepper
½ cup ketchup

Sauté the onion in the margarine. Add all of the other ingredients. Simmer for
about 20 minutes. Place cooked hamburgers or leftover roast in the skillet and steep
for at least 10 minutes.

Place the meat on a bun and put a spoonful of extra sauce on top. Makes
enough sauce for about 4 hamburgers.

Submitted by Charlaine Harris

COLD-WEATHER CHILI
TIME: PREP TIME 15 MINUTES, COOKING TIME 15 MINUTES, SIMMERING
TIME 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES • SERVES 6–8

INGREDIENTS: ½ lb. ground chuck or ground round

2 medium onions, sliced
1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 cup water
1 beef bouillon cube
2 Tbsp. green peppers, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. chili powder or ground cumin
½ tsp. crushed red peppers (or to taste)
1 whole bay leaf
2 cans (16 oz. each) red kidney beans
⅛ tsp. ginger

Combine ground beef and sliced onions in a large saucepan. Brown the meat
and drain off the fat. Add remaining ingredients and stir to blend. Cover and
simmer about 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf before
serving.

Tip: Top with shredded cheddar or mozzarella and sour cream.
Variation: Omit the kidney beans for a thicker chili to serve over French fries.
Top with cheese and bacon bits for cheesy chili-bacon fries.

Submitted by Mary Helen Klein

MERLOTTE’S CHICKEN STRIPS
TIME: PREP TIME 40 MINUTES, MARINATING
TIME 8 HOURS • SERVES 2–4

INGREDIENTS: ¼ cup buttermilk or unsweetened yogurt
thinned with a touch of milk
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. adobo or ½ tsp. curry powder
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 cups oil or bacon grease
1 cup flour, as needed
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste

Mix buttermilk or yogurt, cayenne, and adobo or curry powder into a gallonsized
ziplock freezer bag. Slice meat into thumb-thick strips. Put them in the
ziplock bag, mash out all the air, and seal. Allow to marinate 8 hours in the
refrigerator.

Heat oil or bacon grease in a large skillet. Season flour with plenty of salt and
pepper, and pour into a brown paper bag or a gallon-sized ziplock bag. Shake
chicken pieces, a few at a time, in the flour, then fry until golden brown. Drain on
paper towels. Serve hot.

Tip: Serve with French fries and either honey mustard or ranch dip.

Submitted by Terri Pine

MITCHELL’S FAVORITE MEATLOAF
TIME: PREP TIME 15 MINUTES, BAKING TIME 75 MINUTES • SERVES 4–5

INGREDIENTS: 1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 cup Parmesan cheese
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix together ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, and cheese to form a loaf. Place
in a pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 75 minutes (a little longer if
necessary).

Tips: Can be glazed with your favorite tomato-based sauce 20 minutes before
done. Great cold for sandwiches.

Supper

CALVIN’S CATFISH
TIME: PREP TIME APPROXIMATELY 15 MINUTES, COOKING TIME 5–7
MINUTES • SERVES 5

INGREDIENTS: Peanut oil (enough to fill fryer—the typical home fryer
holds 2 quarts but ours holds 10 gallons)
2½ lb. pond-raised catfish fillets (½ lb. per person)
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
½ tsp. black pepper (or to taste)
Heat oil in deep fryer to 355 degrees F.

If catfish is frozen, thaw in cold water.

Add cornmeal to a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roll
catfish fillets in cornmeal mix, lightly shake off excess mix, and slip fillets into hot
oil. Cook the fillets for about 5–7 minutes until they float; they are done when the
crust is golden brown. Watch closely so that they do not overcook. Remove and let
drain on folded paper towels.

Tip: Serve with coleslaw and hush puppies or French fries. Use ketchup, hot
sauce, or tartar sauce for additional seasoning.

Submitted by Joe Jackson

CRAWDAD’S COUNTRY-FRIED STEAK
TIME: PREP TIME 45 MINUTES–1 HOUR, BAKING TIME 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES–
1 HOUR 25 MINUTES • SERVES 4–5

INGREDIENTS: 1½ cups flour (plus ½ cup if using second
gravy-making method)
½ tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 tsp. pepper (or to taste)
2–3 cups plus 1 cup milk (plus 2 cups if using second gravy-making method)
2 lb. tenderized steak, cut into serving pieces
½ cup cooking oil
Nonstick cooking spray
½ cup water

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Combine 1½ cups flour, salt, and pepper in a bowl; pour 2–3 cups milk into a
separate bowl. Dredge the meat in the flour mixture, dip it in the milk, then dredge
it in the flour mixture again. Heat oil in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add the
meat and brown it. You may need to add more oil.

When all the meat is browned, place it in a glass pan, whatever size will serve,
sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Leave a little space between the pieces. Pour
the water around the meat and cover dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1
hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, then remove aluminum foil and bake uncovered for 10
more minutes.

While meat is baking, pour the leftover seasoned flour into the leftover milk.
You will need to add more milk when it’s time to make the gravy, probably another
cup. If this process seems unhygienic to you, discard the seasoned flour and
leftover milk. Instead, while meat is baking, combine ½ cup flour, salt and pepper
to taste, and 2 cups fresh milk.

Drain most of the grease out of the skillet the meat was browned in, leaving
enough to make the amount of gravy desired, usually about ¼ cup of grease or less.
When the meat is almost done, reheat the grease. Slowly add the flour and milk
mixture, stirring constantly until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
Remove meat from oven, remove foil, and pour gravy over meat. Serve
immediately.

CROSSROADS JAMBALAYA
TIME: 45 MINUTES • SERVES 6

INGREDIENTS: 2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 boneless chicken breast, cubed
2 hot smoked sausages, andouille, or hot links
1 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 cup long-grain white rice (not instant, uncooked)
3 garlic cloves, minced
Salt, to taste
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Cajun spice (2 tsp. cayenne, 2 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. oregano, ½ tsp. thyme),
to taste
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup chunky hot salsa
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained

Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan or frying pan. Brown the chicken, sausage,
onion, bell pepper, rice, and garlic until the onion and rice are translucent. Drain if
necessary. Add the salt, Tabasco sauce, Cajun spice, and stock. Bring to a boil.
Sprinkle the salsa and black beans over the surface. Taste and add any additional
seasoning now. Bring to a boil again, and then reduce the heat to a slow simmer.
Do not stir. Simmer for 15–20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed the liquid.
Remove from the heat. Leave covered for 5 minutes. Toss and serve.

Submitted by Ali Katz

SOOKIE’S CHICKEN CASSEROLE
TIME: 45 MINUTES • SERVES 6
INGREDIENTS: 2 cups cooked rice
Nonstick cooking spray
4 large cooked chicken breasts, boned and diced
8 oz. sour cream
1 can (10¾ oz.) cream of chicken soup
1 can (10¾ oz.) cream of celery soup
2 tsp. poppy seeds
1 roll butter crackers, crushed
½ stick margarine, melted

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread the rice on the bottom of a 9 × 13” casserole dish sprayed with nonstick
cooking spray. Combine the chicken, sour cream, soups, and poppy seeds, and mix
well. Spread over the rice. Sprinkle the crushed crackers over the top and drizzle
with the margarine. Bake for 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

Submitted by Beverly Battillo

STACKHOUSE SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
TIME: 60–80 MINUTES • SERVES 6

INGREDIENTS: 2 eggs
2 Tbsp. milk
1½ cups seasoned bread crumbs
6 bone-in pork chops, ½” thick
Olive oil for pan-frying
2 packets pork gravy mix

Whisk together the eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Place the bread crumbs in
a separate bowl. Dip each pork chop first into the egg-milk mixture, then into the
bread crumbs until fully coated, pressing to make sure each chop is covered in the
bread crumbs.

Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and brown each pork chop
until golden brown on both sides. Add oil in small intervals throughout the frying
process. Place the browned pork chops in a 9 × 13” baking dish and cover. Bake for
30–40 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the gravy mix with the correct amount of water, as
indicated on the packet, but do not cook the gravy. Just add it to the water and
whisk until smooth.

Remove the pork chops from the oven, remove the cover, and pour the gravy
mix over the pork chops. Cover again and bake for another 30–40 minutes. Remove
from the oven and keep covered until ready to serve.
Tip: Serve with rice or buttered egg noodles.

Submitted by Pam Wilbur

Sides

ANTOINE’S FRIED PICKLES
TIME: 20 MINUTES
INGREDIENTS: 1 cup self-rising flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. paprika
Dash of red pepper
⅓ cup milk
⅓ cup beer (any brand)
Whole dill pickles
Oil

This is a variation on a recipe that became famous after its use at a restaurant close to
Tunica, Mississippi.

Sift together all of the dry ingredients. Add the milk and the beer in equal
amounts until the mixture is the desired consistency. Slice the dill pickles into
round ¼” to ⅜” thick chips. Dip the slices in the batter until the batter is gone, and
fry in deep oil. Turn once or twice to brown evenly.

Tip: Enjoy them with cold beer.

BON TEMPS SWEET POTATO HARVEST
TIME: PREP TIME 1 HOUR 30 MINUTES (IF SWEET POTATOES ARE
PRECOOKED), BAKING TIME 1 HOUR 15 MINUTES • SERVES 6
INGREDIENTS: 10 Tbsp. margarine

2¼ cups Bisquick
2 Tbsp. sugar plus ¼ cup sugar
¼ cup chopped pecans
3–5 cups cooked sweet potatoes
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. allspice
½ tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup pecans
2 egg whites
1 Tbsp. lemon juice (optional)
crushed pecans (optional)
½ tsp. cinnamon

For the bottom crust, mix 4 Tbsp. margarine, 1½ cups Bisquick, 2 Tbsp. sugar,
and chopped pecans until crumbly. Press into 3-quart casserole dish and bake for
10 minutes. (This can also be done in a shallower pan.)

Next mash the cooked sweet potatoes and mix with 2 Tbsp. margarine, 2 eggs,
¼ cup sugar, molasses, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla. Pour over baked crust.
Mix 4 Tbsp. margarine, 1 cup brown sugar, ¾ cup Bisquick, and pecans until
crumbly. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake for 45–50 minutes.

For the top layer, beat 2 egg whites until frothy. Add 1 cup brown sugar and
lemon juice. Pour on top of dish and sprinkle with crushed pecans and cinnamon.
Put in oven long enough to toast nuts.

Variation: In lieu of the top layer, you may choose to beat 1 egg white and add
1 Tbsp. sugar and ½ tsp. cinnamon. Brush on top of warm casserole and return to
oven for 10–15 minutes.

GRAN’S EASY BAKED APPLES
TIME: 60 MINUTES • SERVES 6
INGREDIENTS: 6 large baking apples
¾ cup raisins, cranberries, or chopped dates
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. butter
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg

Core the apples, paring a strip of peel from the top of each one. Place apples in
a 10 × 6” baking dish that is at least 1½” deep. Fill the apples with raisins,
cranberries, or dates. Combine the brown sugar, water, butter, cinnamon, and
nutmeg in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pour the hot syrup around the apples, and be
sure to add at least 1 tsp. into each apple cavity. Bake uncovered for about 60
minutes, basting occasionally.

HOTSHOT HUSH PUPPIES
TIME: PREP TIME 15 MINUTES, FRYING TIME
3–4 MINUTES PER BATCH • SERVES 6~8

INGREDIENTS: 2 cups white cornmeal (yellow is acceptable)
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. sugar
½ cup onion, grated
¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced, or a jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
1 egg yolk
1½–2 cups buttermilk
3 egg whites
Peanut oil for frying

Preheat about 3” oil to 355 degrees F.

Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the grated onion, green onion or
jalapeño, egg yolk, and 1½ cups of buttermilk. Beat well with fork or whisk until
well blended and about the consistency of loose mashed potatoes. Add more
buttermilk if it’s too stiff. Whip egg whites into soft peaks (not stiff peaks) and fold
them into the batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls into preheated oil. They will roll over
when done, but you may need to turn them to make sure they brown evenly.
Remove with a wire spider and drain on a rack or paper towels. Serve immediately.

Submitted by Treva Jackson

JANNALYNN’S GOLDEN BISCUITS
TIME: 20 MINUTES • SERVES 8 (16–20 BISCUITS)

INGREDIENTS: 1 medium baked sweet potato
Pinch of apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice, if desired
2 cups biscuit mix
½ stick butter, room temperature, or a dollop of shortening
½ cup yogurt, buttermilk, or milk (or milk with an egg yolk beaten into it)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Comb the sweet potato with a fork to make sure it’s done through (nuke if not)
and set aside. If using the apple or pumpkin pie spice, stir into the biscuit mix first.
Stir the butter and yogurt into the biscuit mix, then stir in the sweet potato until
you have lumps of potato but no big lumps of biscuit mix. The dough should look
very soft and wet. Drop the dough onto an ungreased biscuit pan or cookie sheet.

For tidier biscuits, heavily flour your fingertips and pat down the tops. Bake for
about 10 minutes.

Variation: You may also use a handful of sharp shredded cheese in lieu of the
sweet potato, leaving out the butter if desired.

Submitted by Terri Pine

MARDI GRAS CORN SALAD
TIME: 30 MINUTES • SERVES 12

INGREDIENTS: 1 large purple onion, finely chopped
2 large green bell peppers, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
1 Tbsp. butter
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
2 cans (15¼ oz. each) whole-kernel yellow corn, drained
2 cans (11 oz. each) white shoepeg corn, drained
2 tsp. lemon juice

Sauté the chopped vegetables in the butter in a large skillet over medium heat
for about 5 minutes. Add the cream cheese and mayonnaise and melt. Stir in the
corn. Make sure everything is fully coated with the cream cheese–mayonnaise
mixture and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice, salt, and
pepper.

Tip: Serve warm or chilled as a side.

Submitted by Lynda Edwards

MICHELE’S HOMEMADE BUTTERMILK RANCH DRESSING
TIME: PREP TIME 10 MINUTES, REFRIGERATION
TIME 2 HOURS • SERVES 12

INGREDIENTS: ½ cup sour cream
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried dill
½ tsp. dried chives
½ tsp. dried parsley
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
⅛ tsp. paprika
¼ tsp. dried mustard
½ tsp. sugar
1 cup buttermilk

Combine all ingredients except buttermilk in a medium mixing bowl. Slowly
add the buttermilk and mix well. Refrigerate and let chill at least 2 hours before
serving.

Tip: Keeps well for up to a week in a covered container in refrigerator.

Submitted by Michele Schubert

MICHELE’S PARMESAN GARLIC CROUTONS
TIME: PREP TIME 15 MINUTES, BAKING TIME 30 MINUTES • SERVES 8

INGREDIENTS: ½ loaf French bread, cut into small cubes
8 tsp. butter, melted
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Place bread cubes in a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl or measuring cup
combine melted butter and garlic powder. Slowly pour butter mixture over bread
cubes and toss. Add Parmesan cheese, coating the bread cubes. Place bread on a
cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally.
Tip: Just about any type of bread can be used for this recipe, so it’s a great way
to use up bread that would otherwise go to waste.

PINKIE’S FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
TIME: PREP TIME 20 MINUTES • SERVES 3–4

INGREDIENTS: Cooking oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 medium green tomatoes, unpeeled
1 cup buttermilk

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Mix all the dry ingredients in a shallow pan. Slice
the tomatoes about ¼” thick. Place a few slices at a time in the buttermilk. Roll the
soaked slices in the dry mixture and fry (one layer at a time) in the hot oil until the
slices are brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels.

SISTER’S MASHED POTATO CASSEROLE
TIME: PREP TIME 30 MINUTES, BAKING TIME 30 MINUTES • SERVES 12

INGREDIENTS: 3 lb. small red potatoes, skins on, washed and quartered
Water
½ cup sour cream
½ cup half-and-half
4 Tbsp. butter
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (reserve 1 cup for topping)
3 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 shallot, minced and sautéed
¼ tsp. salt
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper

Cover potatoes with 1 or 2 inches of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil,
then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender but not
mushy. Remove from heat and drain.

Mash potatoes and add sour cream, half-and-half, butter, 1 cup of the cheddar
cheese, bacon, shallot, salt, and pepper. Place mashed potatoes in a greased or
sprayed 9 × 13” or 3-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining cup of
cheddar cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and cheese
topping is melted.

Tip: The casserole could be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 2 days
prior to baking. Allow extra baking time if dish has been prepared in advance and
refrigerated.

Desserts

ADELE HALE STACKHOUSE’S BLUE-RIBBON CHOCOLATE CAKE

TIME: 65 MINUTES; PREPARE THE ICING
BEFORE MAKING THE CAKE • SERVES 12

INGREDIENTS:
Chocolate Icing:
1⅛ cups whipping cream
1 stick unsalted butter (use a premium brand)
4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (use a premium brand)
3 Tbsp. light corn syrup
9 oz. bittersweet or semisweet chocolate (half of each is best; use
Ghirardelli or another premium brand)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Cake:
2 cups flour (sifted, then measured)
2 cups sugar (I prefer ultrafine baker’s sugar)
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (use a premium brand)
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk
½ cup cold black coffee
½ cup shortening
2 large eggs
⅔ cup chopped pecans, plus pecan halves for garnish

To prepare the icing, whisk the whipping cream, butter, cocoa powder, and
corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts and the
mixture comes to a simmer. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the chocolate and
vanilla, and whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Refrigerate the frosting
until slightly thickened but still spreadable, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two round 9” cake pans, 2”
deep.

To prepare the cake, mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt
in a medium bowl. Beat in the milk, coffee, shortening, and vanilla with an electric
mixer at a low speed until combined. Then beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Add
the eggs and beat for 2 more minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and
smooth with a spatula.

Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake layers cool in the pans for 5
minutes. Remove from the pans and place on racks to cool completely.

Place one layer top side down on a plate. Spread with half of the prepared
icing; sprinkle with chopped pecans. Top with the other layer, top side up. Frost the
top and sides with the remaining icing. Garnish the cake with pecan halves with a
star design.

Tip: When frosting the cake, run the knife or spatula under hot water every few
minutes to ensure a glossy finish. Also, a tablespoon of mayonnaise can be added
to the cake batter for moistness in cold, dry weather.

AUNT PATTY’S SOUR CREAM CAKE WITH PRALINE FROSTING
TIME: 2 HOURS 15 MINUTES, PLUS COOLING TIME • SERVES 12

INGREDIENTS: Cake: 1 cup sour cream
¼ tsp. baking soda
4 cups sugar
2 cups butter, softened
7 egg yolks
7 egg whites, stiffly beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. almond extract
Praline Frosting (makes 1½ cups): 1 cup chopped pecans
6 Tbsp. butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
5 Tbsp. heavy cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10” tube pan.

Stir together the sour cream and baking soda in a bowl; set the mixture aside.
Beat the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add
the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in the egg whites.
Stir the flour and salt together in a separate bowl, and then set the mixture aside.
Alternately add the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture to the egg
mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until
blended after each addition. Stir in the vanilla and almond extract. Pour the batter
into the prepared pan. Bake for 90 minutes, or until a long wooden pick inserted in
the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove
from the pan and cool completely on the wire rack. Increase the oven temperature
to 350 degrees F.

To prepare the frosting, place the pecans on a baking sheet and bake for 8
minutes at 350 degrees F. Flip the pecans over and bake for another 8 minutes, or
until golden brown.

Place the butter, brown sugar, and cream in a 2-quart saucepan over medium
heat and bring to a boil, stirring often. Continue to boil and stir for 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth
and creamy. Add the toasted pecans; stir gently for 5 minutes, or until the frosting
begins to cool and thicken slightly. Spread immediately over the cooled cake.

Submitted by Lara Nocerino

CAROLINE HOLLIDAY BELLEFLEUR’S CHOCOLATE CAKE
TIME: 2 HOURS • SERVES 12

INGREDIENTS: 1 package Swansdown Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
(or Duncan Hines, if you can’t find Swansdown anymore)
1 package (8 oz.) seedless dates
1 cup water
¾ cup sugar
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
⅛ tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. shortening
½ tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp. brewed coffee
1 cup chopped pecans

I know you’ll be surprised, people of Bon Temps, that my recipe contains a mix! This
has been my dark secret for many years. I’ve always driven to Clarice to make the purchase,
so no one would see me. So now you know! If you’re a purist, please use your favorite
chocolate cake recipe, providing it’s very moist.

Mix the cake mix and bake in a greased 9 × 13” glass pan, following the box
directions. Cook the dates, water, and sugar in a double boiler for 30–40 minutes.
Spread on top of the cooled cake.

While the date mixture is cooling on the cake, mix together the confectioners’
sugar, salt, shortening, vanilla, coffee, and pecans. Spread on top of the cake.
Sometimes I use pecan halves to create a pattern to make it look prettier.

From Caroline Bellefleur, as told to Charlaine Harris

DINER KEY LIME PIE

TIME: PREP TIME 30–40 MINUTES, REFRIGERATION
TIME 4 HOURS • SERVES 8

INGREDIENTS: 3 Tbsp. butter
25–30 chocolate wafers
1 package lime Jell-O
½ cup hot water
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup sugar
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk, refrigerated until very cold
Green food coloring
1 tsp. lemon zest

Melt the butter. Crush the wafers and mix with the melted butter. Press the
crumb mixture into a 9” pie pan to form a crust. Save crumbs not used for crust to
sprinkle on top. Dissolve the Jell-O in hot water, then add the lemon juice and
sugar. Whip the evaporated milk until it thickens.

Add the Jell-O mixture to the milk and whip until stiff. Add four drops of green
food coloring and lemon zest. Spoon the mixture into the crust. Sprinkle remaining
chocolate crumbs on top and refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably
overnight.

Submitted by Treva Jackson

LOUISIANA PRALINES
TIME: 30–45 MINUTES • SERVES 5–10

INGREDIENTS: Butter for greasing the saucepan
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
¾ cup half-and-half
½ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
24 whole pecans (optional)

Note: Like any candy, this recipe needs a dry day (below 50 percent humidity) to set up
perfectly. Higher humidity results in sticky candy. If it’s pouring rain, you may end up
eating it spooned over ice cream—which is fabulous, too.

You’ll need a large, heavy saucepan (at least 2 quarts) with a lid and a very sturdy
handle. The boiling syrup must be vigorously beaten, so deep sides and a firmly attached
handle are a must. When making candy, the goal is to have it crystallize when you want it
to, and not a minute before. That means that if even a grain of sugar or salt falls into the
heated syrup before you’re ready to spoon it out, the contents of the saucepan will set up like
concrete, and you’ll get no candy, plus you’ll have a nasty mess to clean up. So the
following instructions are set up to make certain no untoward grains of sugar destroy your
candy before its time.

Butter the sides of your saucepan. As the pan warms, the butter will melt, and
any sugar grains sticking to the side will slide into the pan before they cause
trouble. Place the sugars, half-and-half, and salt into your prepared pan. Stir
constantly over low heat until the mixture blends and the sugars melt into the halfand-
half. Raise the heat to medium. Place the lid on the pan and allow it to heat for
a few minutes. This will let the steam from the mixture wash any remaining sugar
crystals down the side of the pan.

While the candy is cooking, prepare an area to spoon the candy by greasing a
cookie sheet or placing a sheet of greased waxed paper on a butcher block or
marble slab.

Remove the lid. Once the sugar syrup boils, turn the heat down to a simmer. If
any crystals remain on the sides of the pan, carefully remove them with a wet
paper towel wrapped around a fork. Never put your fingers into the pot. Bring the
syrup to 234 degrees F. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, bring it to the softball
stage. Remove from the heat.

Add the butter and vanilla, but don’t stir—you’re just letting the butter melt
and the alcohol boil out of the vanilla right now. Wait 5 minutes. Add the chopped
pecans. Stir vigorously with a clean wooden (nonconductive) spoon until the candy
loses its gloss and thickens. Warning: The syrup is hot enough to inflict serious
burns. You’re incorporating air into the sugar syrup, which makes the candy soft
and easy to eat, like fudge or taffy, instead of hard like a lollipop. Once it thickens,
you need to move fast. Quickly spoon the candy into small mounds onto the
prepared surface. If it starts to set up or gets too hard to work, beat in a teaspoon of
hot water to loosen it up.

When the candy is all spooned out, press a whole pecan into the top of each
praline, if desired. Allow the pralines to cool before serving.

Tip: Store the pralines in a tin lined with waxed paper to seal out humidity.
Cleanup note: Place the pan in the sink and fill it with hot water; let it sit for a
little, and it’ll be a lot easier to clean. If it’s still a mess, fill it with water and place it
on low heat on a burner. The sugars on the sides of the pan should soon melt away.

PERDITA’S BREAD PUDDING WITH BOURBON SAUCE
TIME: PREP TIME 35 MINUTES, BAKING TIME 60 MINUTES • SERVES 8

INGREDIENTS:
Bread Pudding:
½ cup seedless golden raisins (or dark raisins)
Enough bourbon to soak raisins
10 day-old slices of white bread, torn into pieces
4 cups milk, scalded
1 cup heavy cream
4 large eggs, beaten
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
½ cup apple, peeled and chopped
Warm water

Bourbon Sauce:
2 sticks butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 eggs
3 Tbsp. bourbon (or more to taste)

In a bowl, cover raisins in bourbon to soak. Combine the bread, milk, and
cream in a large mixing bowl and stir until blended. In a separate bowl, mix the
eggs and sugar together till well blended. Pour egg mixture into bread mixture and
stir. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and stir well. Drain soaked raisins.
Stir in the melted butter, raisins, pecans, and apple. Pour the mix into a greased 9 ×
13” 2-quart baking dish, set the dish in a larger baking pan filled with warm water
about 1” deep, and bake for 1 hour. Remove the dish from the pan of water and let
the pudding cool.

To prepare the bourbon sauce, melt butter in a double boiler. Combine sugar
and eggs in a mixing bowl and stir until sugar dissolves. Add sugar and egg
mixture to butter. Whisk sauce in double boiler over hot water until sauce thickens
slightly. Remove from heat and add bourbon to taste.

Portion out the pudding and spoon bourbon sauce over each serving.

Bread pudding submitted by Belle Franklin; bourbon sauce submitted by Treva
Jackson

PORTIA’S SWEET POTATO PIE
TIME: PREP TIME 15 MINUTES, BAKING TIME 60 MINUTES • SERVES 8

INGREDIENTS: 2 cups canned mashed sweet potatoes
2 eggs
1¼ cups evaporated milk
½ cup sugar
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp. rum
4 Tbsp. melted butter
1 unbaked pie crust (9”)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Mix the sweet potatoes, eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg,
rum, and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Pour into
the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F
and bake for an additional 50 minutes, or until the filling is firm.

Submitted by Ali Katz

WICKED PEACH CAKE
TIME: BAKING TIME 35–40 MINUTES • SERVES 8–10
INGREDIENTS: 1 box yellow cake mix
1 package peach Jell-O
½ cup peach schnapps, divided
3–4 good-sized peaches, chopped to make 1½ cups
½ box powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan.
Prepare cake mix according to box directions. Add Jell-O and ¼ cup schnapps.
Fold in peaches. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 35–40 minutes, or until an
inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let cake cool for a few minutes, then turn it onto a cake plate and let cool until
just warm. Mix together ¼ cup schnapps and powdered sugar to make a glaze.
Poke several holes into the top of the cake with an ice pick or similar-sized utensil
before drizzling the glaze over the cake. Add more schnapps if glaze is too thick.

Submitted in memory of Sharon Hicks

Drinks

CLASSIC SOUTHERN SWEET TEA

TIME: 15 MINUTES FOR HEATING AND STEEPING • SERVES 8
INGREDIENTS: 1 quart water, preferably filtered
1 cup sugar
6 tea bags (flavor of your choice, but plain old Lipton is traditional)
Ice

Place a heavy 2-quart stainless steel saucepan on the stove. Fill just over
halfway with water. Add the sugar. Heat the water until the sugar melts, stirring
frequently. Remove from the heat.

Drop in the tea bags. Allow to steep for roughly 5 minutes, or to taste. The
longer the bags steep, the stronger the tea will be. Remove the tea bags and discard.
Add ice to the mixture and stir. Pour the tea into a pitcher. Serve by pouring into
ice-filled glasses.

Tip: Garnish with mint or lemon balm, if desired.

COUNTRY PORCH LEMONADE
TIME: 15 MINUTES • SERVES 6

INGREDIENTS: 1 quart water, preferably filtered
1 cup sugar
3 lemons
Ice

Place a heavy 2-quart stainless steel saucepan on the stove. Fill just over
halfway with water. Add the sugar. Heat the water until the sugar melts, stirring
frequently. Remove from the heat.

While the water is heating, slice the lemons in half. Cut six perfect round slices
to garnish with, one from each cut lemon half. Set aside the garnish slices. Juice the
six remaining lemon halves. Strain out the seeds and pulp. Add the lemon juice and
ice to the warm sugar water. Stir. Pour the lemonade into a pitcher. Serve by
pouring into ice-filled glasses. Garnish each glass with a slice of lemon.

Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:15 pm

From Aolani..............

http://store.hbouk.com/hbouk/docs/0-Halloween_at_Home.pdf

All about how to have a True Blood Halloween chock full of recipes, invitations, costume ideas and more!
Renee
Renee
Fledgling
Fledgling

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Not so long ago, we seemed to confine our scaring-the-daylights-out-of-ourselves to late October, the period around Halloween. But that was before vampires took over the world -- or seemed to, anyway. Now, there's continual skulking and spooking, not to mention the letting of a whole lot of (blessedly fake ) blood in books and on the large and small screens.

With all of our bright-lights, big-city glitz, Las Vegas wouldn't seem a natural draw for vampires, who tend to like the dark, so maybe it's a given that local native Rutina Wesley, who plays Tara Thornton on HBO's "True Blood," is a mere mortal. The fact that the end of the show's fourth season left that mortality in doubt -- a gunshot wound in the side of the head will tend to do that -- may be the reason we weren't able to reach Wesley for this story.

We did, however, ask local chefs to conjure up some "True Blood"-themed treats, in case you would like to throw a Halloween party in the spirit of Sookie Stackhouse and friends.

They definitely got into it: Luxor executive chef Tom Gorball themed Sookie's roll because, he said, the sesame and tobiko look like fairy dust (Sookie is part fairy) and the staff at Simon Restaurant & Lounge at Palms Place created Alcide Herveaux's lobster beignets because they are moon-shaped (and Herveaux is a werewolf). The beignets will be featured at Simon's special Halloween brunch on Sunday.

Johannes Bernau of Santa Fe Station's Charcoal Room went even further. His Bill Compton's Blood Sphere Martini is technically a cocktail, but the magic of molecular gastronomy has turned it into a solid; besides, he said, it's an hors d'oeuvre and not a drink "because blood is food to a vampire."

And the silver garnish?

"Yes, silver hurts vampires," Bernau said, "but just the right amount gives this drink a kick big enough to wake the dead."

ERIC NORTHMAN'S O NEGATIVE COCKTAIL

2 ounces blood orange juice

½ ounce Solerno blood orange liqueur

1 ounce Hangar One Mandarin Blossom

½ ounce Yuzu Luxe Sour (yuzu, kaffir lime leaves and fresh lemon juice)

Cinzano Brachetto

Mix first four ingredients and top with Cinzano Brachetto (a sparkling red-hued wine)

For garnish: a blood orange chip that has been dehydrated but still maintains its tart flavor and crimson color

-- Recipe from Mariena Mercer, mixologist, The Cosmopolitan

BILL COMPTON'S BLOOD SPHERE MARTINI

For the sphere:

½ cup blood orange juice

1 cup vodka

½ cup simple syrup

10 grams calcium lactate gulcanate

2 grams xanthan gum

For alginate bath:

5 grams sodium alginate

1 quart bottled water

For red wine syrup:

1 bottle red wine

½ cup sugar

Zest of 1 blood orange

3 ounces blood orange juice

For garnish:

1 gram silver dust

3 small blood orange wedges

For sphere, mix first four ingredients in a blender for 1 minute. With blender going, add xanthan gum. Set aside for 24 hours, or until bubbles are gone.

For alginate bath, mix sodium alginate and bottled water in a blender. Set aside for four hours, or until bubbles are gone.

For red wine syrup, mix all ingredients in a stainless-steel pot and heat until thick and syrupy.

Drop 1 tablespoon of sphere mixture into the alginate bath for 30 seconds (it should sink to the bottom). Slightly agitate mix; sphere should be taking shape. Using a slotted spoon, move to a plain water bath to stop the chemical reaction.

To serve, place a pool of syrup on plate and top with a sphere; garnish with silver and orange wedges.

Makes 1.

-- Recipe from Johannes Bernau, room chef at The Charcoal Room, Santa Fe Station

JASON STACKHOUSE'S PANKO-CRUSTED OYSTERS WITH SPICY WASABI CREAM

For Napa cabbage slaw:

1 medium head Napa cabbage, shredded

1 small carrot, finely julienned

1 red Fresno pepper, finely julienned, or other red chili pepper

4 scallions, finely julienned

½ teaspoon grated ginger

¼ cup sugar

¼ cup rice vinegar

2 tablespoons soy sauce

For spicy wasabi cream:

2 tablespoons powdered wasabi

1 tablespoon water

1 tablespoon soy sauce

3 tablespoons heavy cream

1 tablespoon sour cream

For panko-crusted oysters:

12 oysters in shell, shucked, bottom shells reserved

1 egg

2 tablespoons heavy cream

½ cup all-purpose flour

Freshly ground black pepper

2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)

1 cup peanut oil

Kosher salt

1 bunch cilantro

To make slaw, combine all ingredients and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

For wasabi cream, combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth. Adjust seasoning with additional soy sauce as desired.

For oysters, whisk together the egg and cream. Season flour with pepper. Dredge the oysters in flour and shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then roll in panko. Refrigerate.

Heat oil in a large saute pan to 350 degrees (do not allow to smoke). Fry oysters until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels.

To serve, put a small pile of slaw in each of the reserved oyster shells. Top with a fried oyster. Drizzle with wasabi cream and garnish with kosher salt and cilantro sprig.

Makes 12.

-- Recipe from Texas Department of Agriculture

ALCIDE HERVEAUX'S LOBSTER BEIGNETS WITH NEW ORLEANS REMOULADE

3 eggs, beaten

1 bottle of beer

3¼ cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

Creole seasoning, to taste

½ cup chopped onion

½ cup chopped red bell pepper

2 tablespoons chopped garlic

2 chopped green onions

2 cups chopped lobster meat

Oil for frying

Whisk together eggs and beer; reserve.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and Creole seasoning. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, chopped onions and lobster. Fold in egg mixture until combined well and no flour remains on side or bottom of bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.

Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop dough balls into oil heated to 360 degrees. Fry until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and transfer to paper towels. Sprinkle with Creole seasoning and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.

-- Recipe from Simon Restaurant & Lounge, Palms Place

SOOKIE STACKHOUSE'S FAIRY ROLL

8 ounces prepared sushi rice

1 sheet seaweed

¼ avocado

2 ounces cucumber, cut julienne

3 ounces spicy tuna

3 ounces yellowtail

3 tablespoons spicy garlic ponzu sauce

Sprinkling of sesame seeds and tobiko

Spread rice on the seaweed and flip over so rice is on bottom.

Add avocado, cucumber and spicy tuna, layering evenly.

Roll seaweed tightly by hand, or use bamboo sushi roller.

Add yellowtail on top of roll, making sure fish is pressed down firmly to keep roll from falling apart.

Slice; top with sauce and garnish with sesame seeds and tobiko

-- Recipe from Rice & Co., Luxor

SAM MERLOTTE'S HALLOWEEN

JIGGLERS HANDS

Three 3-ounce packages grape-flavor gelatin

One 3-ounce package orange-flavor gelatin

2½ cups boiling water

Combine gelatin mixes in large bowl. Add boiling water and stir 3 minutes, until completely dissolved. Pour into 13-by-9-inch pan and refrigerate three hours, or until firm.

Trace outline of hand on piece of paper. Cut out pattern; place on top of gelatin. Cut around pattern with sharp knife, making sure to cut all the way through gelatin to bottom of pan. Repeat with remaining gelatin.

Dip bottom of pan in warm water for 15 seconds. Carefully remove hand cutouts from pan. Serve on individual plates or add to Halloween punch.

-- Recipe from Kraft

http://www.lvrj.com/taste/local-chefs-create-true-blood-themed-treats-132600993.html?ref=993
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:49 pm

As Halloween has become more of a grownup holiday, creepy cocktails have become the rage for costumed adults and revelers.

This year, vodka is the spooky spirit of the ghoulish holiday. Here are some Halloween-inspired drinks, including some low-calorie options from Voli Light Vodka and some recipes based on HBO vamp series “True Blood” with Belvedere Vodka and featuring the new Tru Blood beverage.

(Recipes based on the vamp series “True Blood” from HBO and Belvedere Vodka that feature the new Tru Blood beverage cocktails.)

BOO-tini

2 oz. Voli Espresso Vanilla

½ oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream

Shake and strain. Serve in a martini glass with the rim garnished with cocoa powder. Approximately 150 calories.

Bloody Voli

2 oz. Voli Lyte

2 oz. tomato juice (spicy if you dare)

1 tsp. horseradish

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

2-4 dashes hot sauce

Pinch of salt and pepper

Squeeze of lemon and lime wedge

Build over ice and stir. Garnish with celery stalks, olives, lemon and lime wedges (optional: salt and pepper the rim of the glass). Approximately 115 calories.

Voli Vamp

1½ oz. Voli Lemon (or Lyte)

¼ oz. Chambord (Raspberry Liqueur)

2 oz .cranberry juice

Top with club soda

Build over ice and stir. Garnish with raspberry and lemon or lime twist. Appoximately 135 calories (100 calories if made with diet cranberry).

The Belve Compton

1½ oz. Belvedere Orange

½ oz. lime juice

3 oz. ginger beer

3 oz. Tru Blood beverage

Add all ingredients to a highball glass filled with cubed ice and garnish with an orange wedge.

Faeries’ Nectar

1½ oz. Belvedere Pink Grapefruit

3 oz. grapefruit juice

Dash lime juice

Shake with ice and strain over cubed ice into a highball glass. Top with 3 oz. Tru Blood beverage. Garnish with a slice of light fruit.

Belvedere Bloodsucker

1.5 oz. Belvedere Pink Grapefruit

½ oz. Campari

Shake with ice and pour over cubed ice into rocks glass. Top with 1.5 oz. Tru Blood beverage and garnish with a blood orange wedge.

http://www.shelbystar.com/articles/halloween-59535-vodka-cocktails.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  minnie Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:23 am

Lafayette's Kitchen - Page 2 Cinrolls
Kanelbullar:
Yield: 40 cinnamon rolls

Ingredients:
• 2 1/2 cups milk
• 1 1/2 cups melted butter plus 1/3 cup melted butter for filling
• 1 cup sugar for dough plus 2/3 cup sugar for filling
• 1 tsp. salt
• 2 tsp. freshly ground cardamom (from about 25 cardamom pods)
• 2 pkg. dry active yeast (4 1/2 tsp.)
• 8-9 cups all purpose or bread flour
• 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
• 1 egg plus 2 Tbsp. water, lightly beaten together into an egg wash
• pearl sugar

Instruction:
Heat milk to a light boil, turning off heat when it reaches the scalding point (with small bubbles across the top). Stir in melted butter, sugar, salt, and ground cardamom.
Let mixture cool until “finger-warm” (still quite warm, but just cool enough to touch). Stir in yeast and let sit for 10 minutes.
Add flour into mixture 1/2 cup at a time until dough is firm and pulls away from the side of your mixing bowl (Tip: If using a stand mixer, exchange the mixing paddle for the dough hook after you’ve added the first 5 cups of flour. Use the dough hook to mix and knead the dough as you add the remaining 3-4 cups of flour).
Cover the dough in the mixing bowl with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about an hour.
Punch down the dough, then remove from bowl.
On a floured counter, knead dough lightly until smooth and shiny. Divide dough into two halves. Roll each half of dough into a 12” by 18” rectangle. Brush each rectangle well with melted butter.
Combine 2/3 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp. cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the 2 rectangles.
Roll each rectangle crosswise, like a jelly roll, to form an 18”-long cylinder. Using a sharp or serrated knife, cut each cylinder into 20 equal slices. Place each slice into a paper cupcake wrapper and place on baking sheet. Cover with towel and allow to double in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 425º. Brush risen cinnamon rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar. Place in the middle of a preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until done. Yield: 40 cinnamon roll.

Source
minnie
minnie
Fangbanger
Fangbanger

http://themooseandsqurriel.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aslinn Dhan Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Aslinn’s Fruit Cakes

This will make two loaf style cakes or one bundt cake style fruit cake. I don’t have a preference, but some of you may. Also, this cake does contain alcohol, but the alcohol can be replaced with vanilla or rum flavoring. If you do substitute the alcohol, you can use a full cup of orange juice or you can use some apple cider to put with your fruit. If you do not use alcohol, then you cake is not a preserved cake and you should use it as soon as you make it…otherwise the cake is dry or becomes moldy.

Ingredients

8 oz Pineapple
4 oz of red maraschino cherries
4 oz of green maraschino cherries
1 cup of Raisins (Either white or red)
I cup of chopped dates
½ cup of Brandy or Bourbon or Rum ( I personally like the rum or the brandy) Or a full cup of orange juice if not using liquor or apple cider.
½ cup of orange juice
3 ½ cups of all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons of ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons of nutmeg
¼ teaspoon of ground cloves
½ teaspoon of allspice
½ teaspoons of ground mace (Mace is a variety of nutmeg and is somewhat stronger in flavor)
1 teaspoon of ground ginger ( I like the strong warm flavor of ginger and it really compliments the other spices)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
2 cups of brown sugar tightly packed.
5 eggs, separated
½ cup of molasses
1 cup plus 6 teaspoons of butter
½ tea spoon of salt

Preparation

This is a really heavy batter, so you may want to either use a stand alone mixer or get a big armed person, a hubby or older brother or some bloke off the street with big arms to come in and stir your fruit cake mix.

Take all your fruit without their juices and put it in a bowl and pour in the orange juice and the liquor and let the fruit marinate in the bowl while you mix the other ingredients.

Generously butter your pans on the bottom and the sides. Some people use parchment or whatever, but I like to use a little brown sugar or flour on mine. It’s all according to your taste.
Mix up your dry ingredients, your flour, salt, all your spices, and the baking soda really really well. I recommend that you mix them in a container with a lid and shake it really well together until your flour is sort of a beige color. Put it in a mixing bowl.

Take your butter and with your mixer, cream it really well until it is nice and soft and sort of whipped. (Hint: I take the amount of butter I need and I set it out to get room temperature before I whip it and add it to my dry ingredients. It just makes the job simpler and if you don’t have a heavy duty mixer, this can be done with a wooden mixing spoon. It is a little bit of work, but you do what you have to do)

Add the sugar to the butter then whip up your egg yolks and put them in with your butter and sugar and whip it good until you get a nice creamy liquidy substance. Incorporate your dry mix of flour and spices a little at a time, stirring as you go. When your flour is fully mixed with your eggs and butter, then stir in your molasses. (Hint about molasses: You can always warm your molasses a little. Either pop it in the microwave for a minute or warm it in a pot. But it should only be a little warmer than room temperature, you don’t want it to be hot.) When that is all mixed together, your batter should be pretty thick. This is what you want. Now add your fruit with the orange juice and liquor.

If you have to mix by hand, add your fruit a little at a time and mix them that way. It is not so hard till the very end and you get a mix consistency.

Take your egg whites now and whip them into peaks then fold the whites into the batter. Carefully spoon the patter into your cake pans. Cover the pans with a clean cloth and let the batter sit and “mellow” over night in the fridge. Some chefs will argue that it is perfectly okay to just keep it in a cool dark place without need of refrigeration, but I don’t think you should invite possible food borne problems with that. There are raw eggs in the mixture.

After your cakes have mellowed over night, heat your oven to 250 degrees. Place your pans in the middle of the middle rack and bake for 3 ½ hours. After it has baked for 1 ½ hours, you take the pan out and put a piece of brown paper on top and return it to the oven for 2 hours. You cook it slow this way because of the density of the cake and the fact that you want the cake and the fruit to be extra moist. When the cake has finished baking, test it as always with a cake tester (in my case a Shish Kabob skewer) and insert it in the middle of the cake. If the tester comes out clean, the cake is finished. Let the cake cool

When the cake is cooled, take it out the pan and put it in your cake container. It is important that you have a container for your cake so you can marinate the cake. Now, there are several ways you can do this, and they all take about a shot of liquor to do the cake. With a bundt cake style cake, you do this one of two ways: You can either brush it on with a clean poultry brush or you can do the ariated steeping method. I do a little of both. I will brush the liquor over the cake with my brush and then I will fill the shot glass and set it in the hole and close the cake lid over tightly over it. The fumes of the liquor will evaporate and go into the cake. You can do the same thing with the loaf style. Store in a nice dark cabinet during this process.

If you do this, this will preserve your cake. You should do this every three or four days before Christmas. I currently have five bundt cake style fruit cakes in my pantry which have been marinating in rum for about three and half weeks now. If you have left over cake, you can wrap the cakes in cling film and put them in your freezer or just keep them in the cabinet.

Should you not want to use alcohol, this is perfectly fine, but if you make a lot of fruit cakes, make sure you let people you give the cakes to know they are alcohol free so they can consume them right away because the marinating process is what preserves them. Otherwise they will dry out and become moldy. If you want the taste of liquor with your cake, you can use rum flavoring and you can use vanilla to substitute, but again, you want to let people know there is no alcohol because of the preservation issues.

Also, you can add nuts. I recommend pecans or walnuts crushed. About a half a cup will do nicely and let people you give the cakes to there are nuts in the cake incase of allergy issues.

Taught to me by Mrs. Walsh of Logan WV
Aslinn Dhan
Aslinn Dhan
Magister
Magister

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum: