True Blood Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadow of Night- Sequel to Discovery of Witches

Go down

Shadow of Night- Sequel to Discovery of Witches Empty Shadow of Night- Sequel to Discovery of Witches

Post  Aslinn Dhan Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Wow, what a ride.

I have never had a story send me into such paroxysms of delight than the first two books of Deborah Harkness’ All Souls Trilogy. Being a person who enjoys the intricate incorporation of history, magik and romance and mystery, this book was like its predecessor A Discovery of Witches.I was seduced, enthralled and enchanted at the same time. I now wait impatiently of word of her final story in the trilogy.

Diana and Matthew arrive in 1590’s England and they are in the midst of intrigues from the beginning. Christopher Marlowe is a love sick demon, Elizabeth knows about the three creatures of the supernatural world and Diana sees the world she has only known in books and she discovers they have it terribly wrong.

One of the pit falls of writing about time travel is the fact you may slip up but Harkness pulls off the trick with grace. She does not create time shifts which ruin the story. There are no loopholes in the tale with further astonished me.

The story takes you on a wild six month ride with Diana and her Vampire husband, Matthew Clairmont. (Roydon in Elizabethan England) and she learns about her husband’s past, meets his father, and marries Matthew according not only Vampire ritual, but both Christian and Pagan ritual. And at long last, Matthew finally beds the human he has mated himself to. Romantic and lusty without being vulgar. She gives it up with candor and class.

Soon they are not only on the hunt for the Ashmole document, they are also trying to find someone who can teach Diana magik and makes a bunch of discoveries along the way.

A rollicking ride through the 16th century, one you will not be able to put down til you get to the last page….
Aslinn Dhan
Aslinn Dhan
Magister
Magister

Back to top Go down