True Blood Anonymous
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Discovery of Witches

Go down

A Discovery of Witches Empty A Discovery of Witches

Post  Aslinn Dhan Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:38 pm

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

I have wanted to read this book for a while and I finally got my chance

A Discovery of Witches is about Diana Bishop, an American at Oxford who comes from a long line of Salem witches. In her world, there three kinds of creatures living among people: Witches, Vampires and Daemons.

Diana is a historian researching the age old science of Alchemy. She knows she was born a witch but she herself does not practice witchcraft at least not consciously. She longs to be a normal human.

During her research, she comes in contact with a magical tome only she can open which might hold the genesis key of the three supernatural races, which are apparently dying out.

Meet Matthew Clairmont, a beautiful and powerful Vampire who is at first fascinated with the magical book but becomes fascinated with Diana.

It is the type of story I love to read and write for myself. The original tale is embroidered with real history both mundane and occult. Diana is a smart and challenging companion to her 1500 year old Vampire.

Magik, both true magik and fantasy magik, is treated in a respectful way. The inter-relationships of the three groups, witches, Vampires and daemons are complex and interesting and the relationships they have with humans are minimal.

Vampires are non-traditional in that they day walk and they can eat certain things other than blood, but they seemed to develop this ability so they could blend with people more fully. They are not farklers and they do not seem to be particularly self loathing or morose. They are complex and have a closed cooperative society.

Other supernaturals play a part in the story, namely ghosts, and werewolves are mentioned.

This book is the first part of a trilogy. I recommend it and look forward to the next book this summer, called The Shadow of Night. Due July 10, 2012.

If you want to peruse A Discovery of Witches before you buy it...here is the link on 4shared...

http://www.4shared.com/get/DK1vkpCN/A_Discovery_of_Witches_-_Debor.html
Aslinn Dhan
Aslinn Dhan
Magister
Magister

Back to top Go down

A Discovery of Witches Empty Re: A Discovery of Witches

Post  Guest Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks, cant wait to give it a read!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Aslinn Dhan Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:07 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Night-Novel-Deborah-Harkness/dp/0670023485/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330268756&sr=8-1

You can preorder the second installment and let me know if you want to peruse the first book... Wink
Aslinn Dhan
Aslinn Dhan
Magister
Magister

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down